15 Things You Know To Be True When You're From Salem, Oregon

The Salem Witch Trials? *Facepalm.

13023
@lilyjmoe

When most Americans think of Oregon, Portland pops into their mind. Sure, Portland is all well and good, and it has become quite the hot spot for hipster millennials. Yet there is so much more to the great O State than an urban center for 20 somethings - take Salem for instance! An hour south of P-town lies the capital of the Beaver State, and it has everything you need and more for a lovely lifestyle. Quirky, quaint, and able to surprise you every day, Salem residents know that their home may not have the same bling that Portland has, but they wouldn't trade it for the world. Here are 15 things that you know to be true when you're from Salem, Oregon.

1. Portland is not the capital.

Sore subject. We're the capital and we refuse to have our younger brother steal the spotlight.

2. "Like, the Salem Witch Trials?"

No, we were the wild wild west when the actual Salem Witch Trials were underway. Wrong side of the country pal.

3. Word of Mouth is bae, now and forever.

We will wait for an hour as many times as you ask us. Just give us the creme brulee French toast, blueberry pancakes, and OOH OOH don't forget the incredible flying biscuit. Seriously, best breakfast...anywhere.

4. Swimming in the Willamette? Nah, I'm good.

Three eyed fish are not who we want to pal around with; instead of swimming in our backyard, we're more likely to head over to the Silverton Reservoir.

5. Volcanoes games make the perfect summer night.

Who needs a major league team when we have a minor league team in Keizer?!

6. You have a favorite downtown coffee spot, and it's not Starbucks.

Archive, French Press, Gov Cup...take your pick. Downtown Salem is a treasure when it comes to good espresso.

7. High school rivalries are not to be taken lightly -- from South/Sprague to Salem Academy/Blanchet, you know what side you're on.

High school sports are no joke.

8. Everything closes at 9 p.m. so unless you want a pie shake from Shari's, you're best off stocking up groceries at home.

It's nice, because it's quiet. It's inconvenient, because what in the world do you eat when you get back late from the drive-in?

9. Allergy season is the living worst.

Salem is in the Willamette Valley. The Willamette Valley is translated to "Valley of Death." You'll find out why come May.

10. Going to Costco means seeing at least five people you know.

First of all, Costco is everyone's favorite place. Secondly, everyone either works at Costco, fills up their gas tank at Costco, or does all of their Saturday barbecue shopping at Costco. You're sure to see people, it's unavoidable.

11. Your third grade class toured the capital building and stood next to the gold man.

It was the best field trip to date.

12. Silverton, a cousin of 20 minutes away, carries the best pie in the valley.

Willamette Valley Fruit Company ladies and gents. Go for the marionberry cobbler, stay for the strawberry shortcake.

13. Salem and Keizer, though buddies, are not the same thing.

Salem and Keizer share a lot of things - the school district for instance. Yet they are two different towns, and we love them both.

14. If there's a chance of snow, the kiddies are readying the sleigh.

You're better off staying home in the case of any amount of snow. Even if it's not going to be The Great Arctic Freeze of 2014, no one can drive in the snow. Go to the eastern side of the state if that's your thing.

15. You keep blankets in your car, because...it's Salem and rain is a sure thing.

It's just part of life. You'll get used to it.

You never realize how great the Salem area is until you have to leave for a little while. It's a fantastic place to live, complete with coffee, good people, and prime location. You're an hour away from the coast, Portland, and the mountains. You're in a pretty rad little place - you're in Salem.