15 Things You Know To Be True When Your Sibling Is 10 Years Younger

Being a big sister is the best job.

269712
Author's photo

Growing up with one other sibling I had always grown to want another one. I mean, who wouldn't? When I was nine, my brother and I begged and pleaded for one.

Little had I known my mother was already a few months pregnant. When she made the big announcement though, I was certain she was going to tell us our family was going to Disney World, so hearing I was going to have another sibling didn't seem as exciting as I had originally thought.

However, having a younger sibling so much younger than I am has been so much fun. Granted, I changed so many diapers, given bottles, and entertained him as much as I could over the years, I wouldn't trade him for the world (well, maybe another trip to Disney).

Here are some things that tend to happen when your sibling is 10 years younger than you:

1. Growing up, you turned into what your parents loved to call the "free babysitter."

Let's be real, that was such good practice for being a babysitter for other families. I mean, at 10 years old I was already a pro at feeding babies, changing dirty diapers, and pretty much knew all there was to know about dealing with a baby.

SEE ALSO: When You Give A Girl A Brother

2. People give you weird looks, thinking you're the mother.

I'm just his sister, I promise!

3. They get away with more stuff than you did as a kid.

Mom definitely didn't let me do that when I was little... not cool.

4. Sometimes you slip and act like the mother.

"If you don't do it, I'm taking this from you and you're in big trouble!"

5. During Christmas, you're up at the crack of dawn because they're so excited to see what Santa brought.

But seeing their face when they walk downstairs makes it all worth it.

6. You still fight and mess with each other.

Of course, you win. Age is definitely a factor.

7. You start to realize they're not a baby anymore and they know how to do pretty much everything at this point (including knowing the password to your phone and playing on it).

Now I'm understanding why my mom would yell at me to stop growing up.

SEE ALSO: 8 Things To Thank Your Mom For

8. You start to see all the wonderful qualities they got from you.

Honestly, he's pretty much a mini-me, and great at basically everything.

9. Then you start to see, not only is he good at what you're good at, but he also excels at things you suck at.

It's okay, he makes up for all the things I didn't do well. You're welcome, Mom and Dad.

10. You always have a little buddy to hang out with and duet with in the car.

It's crazy how many songs he picks up from the radio, that or kids-bop.

11. They FaceTime you at college telling you about their day in elementary school.

This is honestly one of the best parts about being a big sis, it's precious.

12. You're not ashamed an 8-year-old is one of your best friends.

He would be yours, too, if you knew him.

13. You've done the math several times in your head about how old you'll be when he graduates from high school (almost 30). I don't want to talk about it.

It's okay, don't freak out, age is just a number.

SEE ALSO: 9 Things Girly Tomboys Know Too Well

14. Your friends even think he's cool, and he is basically friends with all of them.

He might be more popular than me with them.

15. You wouldn't trade them for anything and know how much of blessing they are in your life.

I love being a big sister to you, dude.