15 Things To My 15 Year Old Self

15 Things To My 15 Year Old Self

Calm down on the eyeliner, seriously.

463
15 Things To My 15 Year Old Self

Being 15 was a year of learning and a long year of hardship, maybe if I could've imparted some wisdom on my young and dumb self I wouldn't have been so young and dumb.

1. Drinking is not all it's cracked up to be.

The excitement of drinking was definitely something that swept me up when I was 15, probably a lot more than it should have. Drinking something that tastes like gasoline has lost it's appeal after a few black outs.

2. When you choose to drink, you're a lightweight.

Number one is something I only learned after many nights hurled over a toilet or on my hands and knees in a corn field. Losing complete control and not being able to recall it is not a feeling I enjoyed, however, I just kept doing it. With that in mind, I was the biggest lightweight ever. I definitely could NOT handle my liquor no matter how many times I thought I could. I wish I could punch my 15 year old self in the face and tell myself that I'd definitely had enough.

3. Other girls are not the enemy.

This is something I've learned within the past year or so and it's definitely important to me. I went through high school thinking that other girls were spiteful and horrid, but now I know we were all under the same impression that we had to compete with one another. Girls can be your best allies. Yes, you might get stabbed in the back a few times but it's only a necessary lesson. There's no one else you'd want to pick you up off of the bathroom floor after a break up.

4. You'll definitely have your fair share of heartbreak.

There will be those you think you'll spend your life with, and they will break your heart. However, every heartbreak will give you an insight on how you do and do not want to be treated. They may break your heart now, but they're preparing you on how to love when the right one comes along.

5. Don't be so quick to try and grow up.

I'm sure going out and drinking with your buddies on a Saturday night is enticing, but there is nothing wrong with sitting on your couch and watching Hannah Montana instead. You'll be surprised to know that even though you think they're kids shows, Hannah and Spongebob will teach you some valuable lessons.

6. Get involved.

I only did one extra curricular throughout my years in high school and I definitely wish I had done more. There's nothing wrong with getting more involved with the people you'll be spending a few years with.

7. Don't be afraid to make new friends.

Like every high school, mine had its cliques. I don't know if I belonged in one, but I wish I could've told myself that it's okay to branch out and make friends with other interests.

8. Try harder.

This is definitely a big one in my book. Give everything your best. Don't slack off on homework or assignments. You'll never know how high you can go until you push yourself to break through every barrier above you.

9. Stop judging other people.

This is also another thing I've learned within the last year or so. Let people be happy how they are. If they're happy wearing something or doing something you don't like, keep it to yourself. Even compliment them, let them know how good they look. Making other people happy will make you happy.

10. Calm down with the eyeliner.

Seriously, you do not need to line your entire eye with a thick black line because you only look like a raccoon.

11. Rumors aren't the end of the world.

There's gonna be some real messed up stuff spread about everyone. When it happens to you, there are worse things in life than the lame belief you're newly pregnant and put the baby up for adoption within days of each other. It may seem earth shattering, but it's not.

12. Talk to someone if you're having issues with yourself.

If you ever feel like you're a little too sad, or a little too anxious, there's nothing wrong with talking to someone. This is incredibly important throughout your entire life. I struggled a lot through high school with myself and a lot of it could've been avoided if I'd spoken to someone. Your teachers and guidance counselors are important tools.

13. Teachers aren't actually Satan's disciples.

It may seem like they're out to destroy you sometimes, but I promise they only have your best interest in mind. Be kind to them, they really do care about you and your education.

14. He doesn't love you.

The older boy who already graduated years before you should not have an interest in you. He doesn't love you, and it will hurt. It will hurt a lot and you will take a long time to recover, but you will recover.

15. Love yourself instead.

You're beautiful. You're bold. You're incredible. You're enough.

It's time you start to see that.