15 Things To Know About Laura

15 Things To Know About Laura

Introducing myself as an Odyssey Ambassador!

8
15 Things To Know About Laura
Laura Jaen

In order to introduce myself as one of Odyssey's 13 Odyssey Ambassadors, I'm here to share 15 things you should know about me...

1. I was born and raised in Miami, Florida.

I moved to Louisiana when I was 14 years old. My mother grew up in Louisiana and I spent my summers in New Orleans, where my mother's parents still lived. I had dreamed of moving to New Orleans ever since I was a little girl. Well, my dreams came true and I got to go to the high school and college of my dreams. Things may not have turned out the way that I planned, but in the end, it turned out better than I could have ever imagined.

2. I share my birthday with my best friend, Karina.

I have known my best friend since we were 6 years old. We didn't become best friends until six years later. I am 2 hours and 15 minutes older than her and my middle name is also her first name. People find it really hard to believe, but we promise- it's true.

3. I am singing 98% of the time.

I love to sing. I was in my school choir from 3rd grade to 12th grade. Although I haven't continued my musical career in college, my friends and family continuously hear me sing. I sing when I'm happy; I sing when I'm bored; I sing when I'm scared. My father works in the music industry and for as long as I can remember, I have been in his studio recording or watching him work.

4. There is nothing I appreciate more than I appreciate my heritage.

In the 1960's, my maternal grandparents left behind everything they knew and loved to find a better life in America. The Cuba they loved was gone because of the Castro regime. They risked their lives so that their children, and grandchildren and beyond (all of whom they didn't even know yet) would have a better life. I am so incredibly humbled to have their bravery and courage in my blood.

5. Joining a sorority changed my life for the better.

Greek life has changed me so much that this year, I decided to be a Panhellenic Recruitment Counselor (Gamma Chi) at my university. I have chosen to take on a "secret affiliation", so that I can provide an unbiased perspective to the women going through recruitment. Greek life has given me endless opportunities in my academic career. It has made me a better woman, student, friend, sister, daughter and more. My sorority has given me my best friends and a support system that I can barely describe.

6. I adore children.

I have wanted to be a mother for as long as I can remember. I babysat all the children in my family at every family event and gathering. I gush over children in public and I dream about the family I want in the future. I have had paid babysitting jobs since I was 17 years old and I even had the opportunity to be a Mother's Day Out teacher last year.

7. Almost losing my mom made me realize how much I need her.

When I was 11 years old, I almost lost my best friend. I didn't know she was my best friend back then, but I would come to see it and know it within the years to come. My mother had numerous strokes when I was only 11 years old. I grew up that day, but the most important thing was that my mother was still alive- against all odds. She is still my biggest inspiration and my forever best friend.

8. I want to change the world so...

Photo credit: Twitter User @osucsw

I am pursuing a career in Social Work. A social worker opened my eyes and changed my life, so I want to be that for someone else.

9. I am the biggest (female) football fan I know.

...next to my mom of course. I guess I see where I get it from. During football seasons, we plan our lives around football games- college and professional. If I could be at every game, I would.

10. I went to an all-girls Catholic High School.

Those uniforms may still haunt me in my dreams, but I honestly couldn't have asked for a better four years.

11. I'm extremely clumsy and fall frequently.

Then, I laugh so hard that I usually "need a minute" to get myself together.

12. I tend to be a little dramatic sometimes.

In my defense, I just simply cannot function without minimum of 5 hours of sleep.

13. I absolutely love the holidays.

I mean really... what's not to love? As soon as Halloween rolls around, Thanksgiving and Christmas are right around the corner. What I love the most about the holidays is the weather and the holiday spirit.

14. As much as my little brother annoys me and drives me crazy, I love being a big sister.

Honestly, we fight like crazy, but now that we are both in college I feel like I am a bigger role model and friend to him. Love you bro.

15. One of my biggest accomplishments is one of my top Odyssey articles about my best friend, Rachel.

Last year, I wrote the article "To My Childhood Best Friend" for my best friend's 19th birthday and the article ended up getting over 309k shares. To this day, it still makes me emotional to think so many people read and shared my content.

Odyssey has changed my life and I am so excited to get to help our community grow nationwide! Contact me for information about how YOU can become one of Odyssey's 12,000+ (and growing) content creators!