15 Things that Run Through Your Head on a First Date

Dating is awkward, first dates are the most awkward. There's no way around it.

95
Datingadvice.com

Dating is one of the most joked about and terrifying parts of becoming an adult. Sure, the movies make it look so easy. Witty conversation, seemingly endless drinks and flirty eye contact come naturally to the wealthy, beautiful and charming, then there's me. I'm no expert but I have been on enough dates to know that it's not like the movies. "There's so many fish in the sea" they say, well, I guess to find a catch, you need to throw your line in. And when you do, these are the things that run through your head on a first date.

1. When I get that "would you wanna get dinner?" text.

Um, sure let me just check my schedule, yup nothing until 2019.

2. When the hair, makeup, outfit, eyebrows are on fleek.

If it sucks there is Ben and Jerry's in the freezer and sweat pants on the bed. Let's do this.

4. I just need a little music to get me hyped.

Making my way downtown, walking fast, faces pass and I'm homebound.

5. When my date walks in looking fine as hell.

How did I make this happen? Okay, maybe the tighter dress would have been better. I can't walk in heels, what was I thinking? Oh, I am so snapchatting him to the girls.

6. I should probably do that flirty smile thing.

I'll just smile a little bit, like just to be coy and show him my teeth a little. I had braces and I didn't use those Crest White Strips for nothing. Don't wanna smile too big because I can't let him see the snaggle tooth. That's like date four material.

7. I'll just playfully touch him.

He made a joke? I'll just casually touch his shoulder, just a little flirty shove. I read in an article that they like that.

8. Hair flip time!

That's right, I blow dried my hair today AND straightened it. I was going for the wind blown look. Did you notice?

9. What are my interests?

I don't know, is eating an acceptable answer? Probably not. Um, well I there was a show on Netflix that had 10 seasons and I finished it in 3 days. No need to be impressed. I'm a woman of many talents.

10. I should probably get a salad.

Perhaps not. I'll take the steak and french fries too and bring the dessert menu. I'm a beast, no sense in hiding that.

11. He said I'm pretty!

Okay, not sure how to respond to that. Is this a trick question? Is this a test? Do I think I'm pretty? I feel like I'm being personally victimized by Regina George. I'll just smile and nod.

12. Time to bring out the charm!

He's really nice and cute. I'll just send him some signals to let him know I'm picking up what he's putting down. I'll just be really subtle about it, don't want to seem too into him.

13. The kiss I hoped for.

I think a good night kiss is on the horizon. I better start thinking of ways to set the scene and make it perfect. This is the most important kiss we will share. It sets the tone. My hair will blow perfectly in the wind, he will turn into Leonardo DiCaprio, all will be right in the world.

14. The kiss that actually occured.

Okay, so I think we kissed but it was short so not sure. We'll have to work on that. I mean no one seems like good kisser the first go round right? Maybe I was the one that sucked, maybe all my exes lied to me.

15. The post date text.

After a little bit I get a text from him like "Hey. I had a really nice time. When are you free next week?"

Totally nailed it.