15 Things Bound To Happen When You're A JMU FROG

Hey O-Team...

407
Personal picture

There are many things that make James Madison University so different and amazing from all the other universities. One of the dozens of traditions is 1787 August Orientation. Every year, when the first-years move into their dorms, they are thrown into a week of fun activities and events that welcome them into the JMU community that is led by the infamous FROGs (First yeaR Orientation Guide). Applying and training for this position is long and tedious but the outcome is so worth it! Emotions will be running higher than the sun as you leap through this jam-packed week. For example...

1. You will carry at least 17 mini fridges

FROGs help out with the first-year move in so you can bet on it that you will be hauling many mini fridges up to the fourth floor. RIP if you’re in Eagle Hall.

2. You will sweat in places you didn’t know you could sweat

And you and your entire FROG group will be a walking clump of stinkiness. Oh, and you’ll wish you brought deodorant.

3. WalMart gets swarmed on Sunday and Monday nights

Because someone’s gonna have to make those signs that are carried around that week! The WalMart employees will undoubtedly be a tad bit confused on why so much poster board and sticks are being purchased that night.

4. Finding out who your partner and your first years are is like Christmas morning

You just can’t handle the excitement!

5. You will consume more caffeine and energy drinks than you probably should

Because being on the O-Team means you gotta be on your A-game 24/7! Five-hour energy, coffee, tea, Monster, Red Bull...the list goes on.

6. Your Frog Group will become like your second family

They will be your support system all week and once it’s over, you’ll barely know how to function without them

7. You’ll feel old

Looking at and leading all the new Dukes will undoubtedly make you feel old as James Madison himself. You’ll be reminiscing on your 1787 Orientation all week and thinking about how time really does fly by.

8. You’ll cry

For various reasons. It’s an emotional week, people!

9. You’ll find out that sometimes, you’re having more fun than the first-years!

A hypnotist show, Dueling Pianos, Block Party in the ‘Burg...so many activities!

10. But you’ll also find out how difficult it can be to keep the first years engaged in all the activities

And you’ll start to feel bad for your FROGs when you were a first year and didn’t want to participate in anything. It’s hard, people!

11. You’ll learn icebreakers for DAYS

Peanut butter in a cup, we sing this song to pump us up...you know the rest.

12. You will probably lose your voice

Because you’re chanting the fight song, your dorm’s cheer, and the classic “J-M-U Duuuukes” all day, every day.

13. Learning the FROG dance is harder than it looks

It'll be your main focus for a few days because you want to have it down perfectly! Also, the songs in the montage will trigger you for at least a few weeks after the fact.

14. You will love your first-years and go all tiger mom on them

You'll be wanting to snap photos, talk with them, go to the events with them, love them and welcome them into the JMU family!

15. You’ll fall in love with JMU all over again

Leading and showing the future of JMU around will make you re-fall in love with this school and all that it has to offer! From the many programs to the beautiful sunsets, James Madison University is a place that we call home and we were so lucky to welcome and guide the first years and hear them call it their new home. Being a FROG was a unique experience that was not only fun but aided our growth in becoming leaders, facilitators and role models for the incoming class. It was tiring but worth every second! #GoDukes