15 Things We Can All Be Happy About In a Time of Turbulence

It's been a rough year, but don't forget about all of those little things that make you happy.

4
Public Domain

I think we can all agree that the past month has been pretty brutal. We thought the negativity of the 2016 election season would subside when a winner was announced on November 9th. Unfortunately, that was not the case. In fact, the election results arguably spurred even more hatred and hostility. I, for one, am very guilty of focusing on the negative. At a certain point, I realized how exhausting it is to be frustrated all the time. Of course, it's important to understand that society is far from perfect, and there are times when you need to acknowledge your frustrations. But it's also important to take a break from that--to focus on the good things in life, no matter how small or insignificant they may seem.

1. When you're about to pay full price for something, but it turns out to be on sale.

Even when that sweater is a dollar less than you thought, it's an occasion for celebration. If you're really enthused, you might even call your mom and tell her about it.

2. Good hair days.

You know... those days you feel like you could be in a Pantene commercial. Why is it they always seem to happen on the days when you don't leave the house?

3. Videos of military members reuniting with their families.

Try to get through a single homecoming video without happy crying. I dare you.

4. Coming home after a long trip.

You know the feeling. When you've been gone so long, you can smell your own scent when you walk in the door. And don't forget the glorious feeling of climbing into bed after sleeping away for many nights.

5. Not setting an alarm.

There's nothing quite like sleeping like a baby and waking up naturally. No irritating beeps or abrupt music--just sunshine and, if you're lucky, the smell of bacon to get you out of bed.

6. Discovering a good song that no one else knows.

When the top songs get too much airtime, it's necessary to find something new. Props if it's by an underground band that no one's heard of--that's when you know you've hit the jackpot. The best part is when the song becomes big, you can say you liked it long before anyone else did.

7. When underdogs win.

And what better example of an underdog team than the 1980 U.S. Olympic team? The film is called Miracle because that's what it felt like--a miracle. And who doesn't like to witness a good, old-fashioned miracle every once in a while? Better yet, miracles make you believe that anything is possible, which is a pretty good mindset to have.

8. Exchanging a look with a stranger.

The best example of this is when something weird or awkward happens, and a stranger in close proximity is the only other witness Generally, we're so desperate to share such a strange or funny moment with someone else that we're willing to latch onto a complete stranger, so long as they reacted the same way. These moments are special because it's not very often you get to share a moment without even knowing a person's name.

9. Puppies.

I know it's cliche, but you can't expect me to get through a list of happy, satisfying things without mentioning puppies. I mean, come on. Look at them.

10. Getting through the day without pit stains.

If you come from a family of sweaty people like I do, this is a pretty big deal.

11. Fresh sheets.

Bonus points if they're still warm from the dryer.

12. Getting the perfect gift for someone.

There's nothing quite like the anticipation of watching someone open a present when you know they're going to love it. The best ones usually have to do with inside jokes or tidbits of information that you happen to know about that person that few others do.

13. Finding hilarious pictures on your phone after a night out.

Even if you look like a troll, at least they'll help you piece together everything that happened.

14. Baby faces and little shoes.

Sure, they're tiring, but there's nothing quite like a baby to make you feel better about humanity. Just look at that precious little face! And I'm convinced that I will never get over how adorably tiny their shoes are.

15. Getting two good flavors of Starburst.

Opening a pack of Starburst is like cracking open a fortune cookie. Two pinks? You're going to ace that test and someone is going to give you a free coffee. Two yellows? You're probably going to trip up the stairs.

Although it's been a brutal, exhausting time in history, it's important to take a step back every once in a while and remember the little things that make us happy. It's important to acknowledge the negative qualities of society and it's healthy to be a little bit pessimistic sometimes. But there comes a point where we need to stop and remember how great it is to open a pack of two pink Starbursts. It's important to remember how it feels to have fresh sheets and no pit stains. Because during times like this, it's those little moments that keep us moving forward.