15 Things That Will Get You Out Of Your Rut

We all have those times when we feel like we aren't getting anywhere in life and sometimes you just need a little help getting through it.

54

Feeling stuck can be one of the worst feelings a person has. Whether it's in school, your career, your health or just in life as a whole, being stuck is frustrating and can lead to a whole lot of self-doubt. I can personally say that you will get out of this place in your life if you just keep pushing through it. Here are 20 things to remember if you are feeling stuck.

1. Keep moving forward.

This is a very common phrase, but an important one. Life is not going to stop just because you are. You have to keep doing the everyday things in your life even if you do not want to because that is the only way to move out of this rut and get yourself together. Just keep moving forward and you'll eventually find what you're looking for.

2. Routine is key.

Getting yourself into a daily routine can help give you a purpose for each day if you are having trouble finding one. I know the times I feel the most stuck in life are the times that are the most chaotic. If I can get myself into a simple routine each day and throw in some fun and relaxation every few days, I always start feeling better.

3. Find a first step.

So, your entire life is falling apart and you feel like you are standing at a roadblock you can't get around; that would be overwhelming for anyone. Find a jumping off point for the process of overcoming your problems. I often try to refocus on my spiritual and mental health first because, unfortunately, those are the two things that go first when I feel like I am at a roadblock. If you can pick just one piece of yourself up I promise it will make getting past this funk easier.

4. Seek help from people you see often.

Roommates, family and friends can be some of the best people to get you through a difficult time. Having people to talk to about the path you are on can lead to great brainstorming sessions on how to get there. If you have people you trust around you, use them! No one likes to see someone they love struggling so they will want to help you.

5. Accountability is (the other) key.

Accountability. A word you have probably heard for years and not necessarily in the context of yourself. You have to be accountable to yourself to get through life. Without clear goals and a plan to get there you won't be successful, but you will really fail if you stop showing up to your own life. Pick yourself up, write yourself some motivational sticky notes to keep around and stay accountable to yourself.

6. Prioritize the things that actually matter.

If you have hit a roadblock in your career it is often difficult to see what could come next. Try to prioritize your goals for the career you wish to be on because it will then be easier to get there.

This also goes in line with school and classes. Sometimes you have to prioritize education over your social life or one course over another, but knowing what your priorities are will help keep you calm as you move forward.

7. Reconnect with the people that really care for you.

Sometimes being in a rut can make you feel down so you distance yourself from the things and people you normally want to be around. Try to reconnect. This comes in a different form for everyone, but it can be someone as simple as taking a walk to enjoy nature, cozying up with a good book or meeting up with an old friend for coffee. Finding something that grounds you and connects you with the parts of your life that you love is a great way to get back on track.

8. Detox your web presence.

One of the lowest points in my life was when I was addicted to looking at Instagram and Twitter to see what other people were doing, what they were wearing, the vacations they were taking and jobs they were getting. During this period I felt like I was never going to be good enough or have the perfect job or clothes or life.

It made me so upset to feel like my life was not as good as the people around me. So, I started an online detox. That year for Lent (I'm Catholic), I gave up all of my social media usages. I went on an online blackout besides texting and a little bit of Facebook because my sorority used it. After the 40 days of Lent passed, I found myself not even wanting to use social media. My mental health was so much better and I was living for myself again. I am a huge advocate for an online detox so give it a try even if it's just for a few days!

9. Clean your room.

This is a simple, but easy way to start feeling a little bit more like you can conquer the world and a little less like you are drowning. Having clean laundry and the smell of a freshly bleached bathroom would make anyone want to go for a run or apply for a new job. Having an organized and clean space will get you going I promise! So clean away!

If you need to cheat a little just made your bed, shove everything in a drawer and use some Febreze fabric spray. We're looking for baby steps.

10. Make lists for everything.

I know how silly this sounds, but give it a try! I like to make lists because it is concrete information that I can refer back to when I start getting overwhelmed. I often will make a list of healthy foods to replace junk food I like, books I want to read, a list of goals, a list of movies to watch depending on my mood and even a running list of things that make me smile day-to-day. The process of physically thinking about and writing a list is a great way to distract your mind from feeling stuck and get you thinking about things that make you happy.

11. Do not hit snooze (more than twice).

After my recent freak out about my life after college, I have started trying to wake up between 5 and 6 a.m. each day to give myself more hours in the day to be productive. At first, this was hard because I would snooze my alarm like 12 times, but once I stopped letting myself do that and only hit snooze once or twice I actually felt better about each day. Just give this a try and see if you start feeling a little more in control of each and every day.

12. Learn how to budget.

Money is a big shut down spot for a lot of people and I get it. It can be so stressful, but I recommend trying to plan out a simple budget to alleviate extra stress every day.

13. Stop procrastinating.

Honey, I get it. I love sitting in bed doing nothing when I have a million things to do, but we have to get over this procrastination together! When you are in a rut it is worse when you procrastinate. Like I said earlier, you have to live your life!

14. I am begging you to get a planner.

How can you know who to get out of your stuck point if you don't plan it? Organization is the key to feeling like you have your life under control and scheduling will help you tremendously. So go to the store and get a planner; start by writing down all the important dates coming up and go from there. This is a guidebook to getting you from point A to point B in your life and I know you will feel a little less stuck if you use one.

15. Just keep swimming.

Please don't give up. I know how hard it can be to pick yourself when life slaps you down, but I believe in you and I know you will get through this down point in your life. Just keep swimming, don't let yourself drown!