15 Things For Broke College Students To Do On Long Island This Summer

There's no need to break the bank to have fun this summer.

856
blogspot

As a college student, money is a very sacred and rare thing these days. Any of the money you get usually goes towards college funds, or text books, or a new hamper for your dorm. Sometimes, it seems impossible to have an awesome summer when you're on a budget. But fear not! There are tons of gems all around Long Island that are exciting and cost very little or even nothing at all!

1. Hit up a free concert at Tanger Outlets.

From Boys Like Girls, to Conor Maynard, to Fifth Harmony, Tanger Outlets in Deer Park always seems to dig out some quality acts for their free concert series. You can find who is playing each month by visiting their website: https://www.tangeroutlet.com/deerpark/events/6.

2. Set out for a beach day.

Everyone already knows Long Island has some of the most beautiful beaches in the nation. From Robert Moses, to Jones Beach, to Smith's Point, to Montauk, a beach day provides tons of fun and relaxation without emptying your wallet.

3. Try Northport's Friday night festivals.

Every Friday, the waterfront town of Northport hosts an evening of great summer fun down their main street. With restaurants serving outdoors, bands playing live, antique cars parked along the street, shops with discounted tables, and varying crowds, this is certainly something to give a try.

4. Camp at Callahan's.

For an inexpensive weekend getaway, try setting out to Callahan's for a camping trip! You've got the woodsy camping vibe for bonfires and marshmallows overlooking the beach, just a moment's stroll away.

5. Stroll down the pier in Port Jeff.

For a breathtaking, classic Long Island sunset view, the pier of Port Jefferson is certainly the place to take a nice walk.

6. Bike around Fire Island.

Strap your bike to your car and head down to Fire Island for a nice day of beach breezes and biking. Whether you strictly stay on the beach route, or travel on into town, this is a day trip worth taking that won't leave you penniless.

7. Check out Avalon.

Take a day to explore what nature has to offer through the trails at the Avalon State Park Nature Preserve. Don't forget your camera for this serene excursion!

8. Hike through West Hill's Country Park.

This trail, near the birthplace of famed poet Walt Whitman, leads to one of Long Island's highest peaks, Jayne's Hill. Here is a perfect spot to channel your inner poet by reading Whitman's "Paumanok," inscribed on the rock. It's not only a beautiful hike, but a transformative one as well.

9. Peruse the Amityville Farmer's Market.

After taking a quick peak at the notorious "Amityville Horror House," make sure to support Long Island's local farmers and check out the farmer's market in town!

10. Visit Plattduetsche Park.

You needn't be of Bavarian descent to enjoy a day at Plattduetsche. If you're looking for a place to enjoy this summer's EuroCup or Olympic games, this is certainly the place to do it.

11. Run through Caleb Smith Park.

It is easy to adventure through Caleb and get lost in the greenery, bridges, and streams. However, you'll never be too far gone with paths created and labeled based on difficulty and intensity. This is an adventure free of cost but full of escape.

12. Throw a backyard BBQ with the neighbors.

Long Island is an epicenter for great food and grills. Why not spend the day in great company and throw a neighborhood barbecue? With everyone pitching in on bringing some munchies and drinks, this is certainly an inexpensive way to have a good time.

13. Picnic at Sunken Meadow.

Another gem of Long Island is Sunken Meadow with its beachfront boardwalk, picnic areas, and tranquil trails to jog through.

14. Hunt out Pirate's Cove.

One of the most unique places on the Island, Pirate's Cove is quite a well-kept secret, but is certainly worth the look around Port Jeff to dig out and enjoy.

15. Stargaze at the beach.

A priceless way to end a day on Long Island is to relax on the beach and enjoy the view.
From Your Site Articles