15 Things I Wish I Had Known At 15 Years Old

15 things I wish I could go back and tell myself when I was 15 years old and just starting high school.

244
bing.com

Since I'm nearing the young adult stage of my life, I'm really starting to realize how much more I've learned that I never even knew I'd learn. I have so much more responsibility, knowledge, wisdom, and confidence than I had during high school and especially at the particular age of 15. An insane amount of things about me and my life has changed since I was 15 years old. So, I decided to come up with a list of things I wish I had known when I was 15 years old and a freshman in high school.

1. This isn't going to last as long as you think.

I remember thinking high school was going to last forever. People were always constantly reminding me of how fast the four years would go by and that I should make the most of it while it lasts. High school definitely wasn't the highlight of my life, but I for sure made some amazing unforgettable memories with my best friends that I will remember forever.

2. Having a boyfriend isn't the most important thing, especially in high school.

15 years old is still very young. If you can't find the "right guy" at 15, guess what? You won't. You aren't going to find the love of your life and the person you're supposed to be with forever at 15 years old. There's nothing wrong with being single and there's definitely nothing wrong with you if you don't even date at all in high school. You haven't even fully developed yet; physically and mentally. It's not the end of the world if you're the only friend without a boyfriend. It's so stupid to even think that that's a problem.

3. You aren't "anti-social" just because you don't always want to attend every social event.

This is probably the biggest thing I wish I would've known at 15. I can't tell you how many times I would make myself go to a social event because I felt like I had to, rather than because I simply wanted to. Even if it was something I wasn't into at all, I made myself go because I thought or was made to think there was something wrong with me for just wanting to hang out at home or hang out with family instead. Now, I go to whatever I want. I don't make myself do things I'm not into or not comfortable with. Everyone liked and is interested in different things. We all have different ways of enjoying ourselves and we all have different ideas of fun.

4. Anxiety and stress won't help or fix anything. You are young, everything will be okay and work out the way it's supposed to.

Stresses of a 15-year-old are so stupid and silly. What you think is important at the time isn't important at all in the long run. I wish I would've known that; anxiety sucks.

5. You can't trust anyone but yourself.

Especially at this age, no one really cares about anyone but themselves when it comes down to it. Gossip, rumors, and drama are inevitable during high school. Don't tell anyone anything that you aren't comfortable with the whole school knowing. Word travels fast.

6. Just because it appears that you have a large number of friends, doesn't mean they are all actually your real friends.

As the years go by in high school and the days get fewer and fewer, so does the amount of friends you have. You begin to learn how to narrow it down and find people who really, truly care for you and your best interest. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. You never have to stick around negative people just because you've been friends with them for the longest or whatever excuse you're making for yourself because it's familiar for you. Negative people and fake friends will literally do nothing for you.

7. There's nothing wrong with not wanting to do what everyone else is doing.

Be different; be you. Don't do things just because everyone else is doing it, especially if you aren't comfortable with it.

8. You can't take what people say about you to heart.

Being 15 is a really insecure and vulnerable time. Everyone is trying to figure themselves out and everyone has their insecurities. People say mean, untrue things in an attempt to make themselves feel better. Block out and ignore hate. Don't let things get to you. You know who you are, they don't.

9. School is important but not important enough to stress yourself out to the point where you make yourself sick over it.

Take things one at a time, don't overload yourself and give yourself more than you can handle. Take your time and study when you're supposed to. It's not the end of the world if you get a few bad grades. Life goes on.

10. Have fun. This is the only time during your life where you don't have adult responsibilities and adult worries.

I wish I would've realized this at 15. You don't realize how peaceful and relaxing you have it.

11. Making a few mistakes is definitely okay, you are learning.

No one expects you to know all the answers to everything. No one ever knows all the answers to everything. Life is one big lesson and you are at the very beginning of it.

12. Your reputation does matter.

It's okay to make mistakes, but this doesn't mean it's okay to make them over and over again even when you know they are wrong. There's nothing wrong with being the good kid. It's cooler to be a good kid than a bad kid. Keep your life, reputation, and surroundings as positive as you can. This matters right now and it matters for your future.

13. You have a while to think about your college decisions.

I was always worried about what I was going to do after high school. You have much longer than you think to worry about this. Some people go into college undecided and that's completely okay. Things and preferences change continuously as you get older and you are always changing.

14. Don't be afraid to try new things.

Stepping out of your comfort zone is so important. Doing the same things over and over just because it's familiar and comfortable isn't going to benefit you. If you try new things, you will learn more, be more, and more opportunities will unfold before you.

15. Never put up with being treated less than you deserve.

Never ever allow people to walk all over you. Don't be afraid to use your voice and stick up for yourself and what you think is right.