16 Taylor Swift Songs That Aren't About Relationships

Yes, they exist and we should appreciate them.

1318
Wikimedia

Every musician in the world writes about what inspires them and provides them with deep emotions. For most humans, love and relationships are often the source of this inspiration. But, for some reason, Taylor Swift has been labeled as the crazy girl who has written about relationships her whole career. While every other artist is doing the same thing, Taylor is constantly criticized for it. Even though every song she writes is great, I've compiled a list of equally amazing songs that aren't about relationships. I'd like for this to show you that her "crazy girl" label is completely unnecessary, but at the least, I hope this list provides you with some new favorite songs you may not have known about.

1. A Place In This World

This is one of Taylor's earliest songs about the struggle of fitting in with the crowd.

2. Tied Together With A Smile

Also some of Taylor's work from the beginning of her career, this song is about a friend battling an eating disorder.

3. Fifteen

Hopefully you know this one, but if you don't you're missing out. We all remember being fifteen and thinking life was never going to get better. This song reminds us that if we survived freshman year of high school, we can survive anything.

4. The Best Day

Taylor wrote this song for her mom and even though it's personal to her own life, it will remind you of how thankful you are for your family and childhood.

5. Change

This song is about overcoming a struggle that people never thought was possible. It's super inspiring and makes you want to change the world.

6. Mean

This song is a classic anthem about the people we encounter in life that are cruel for no reason. It's also super inspiring when you hear the lyric "Someday I'll be living in a big ole city." and then realize that Taylor predicted her future (see number 13).

7. Never Grow Up

This song never fails to make me cry. Ever want to cry about the nostalgia of childhood and regret becoming an adult? This song's for you.

8. Better Than Revenge

Even though this song is very cringe-worthy and anti-feminist, it's great to feel angsty and bad-ass. Taylor recently said in an interview, "I was 18 when I wrote that. That’s the age you are when you think someone can actually take your boyfriend. Then you grow up and realize no one take someone from you if they don’t want to leave.” It's still fun when you sing every lyric flawlessly and do a couple hair flips in the mirror.

9. Innocent

Kanye and Taylor's ongoing feud is talked about so much, but no one ever mentions this beautiful song Taylor wrote about him publicly humiliating her. The song analyzes the situation and ultimately concludes that even though someone hurt you, forgiveness is still possible. (Compare the lyrics of Innocent and Famous by Kanye West. Just do it.)

10. Long Live

If you didn't completely despise high school, listen to this song and think about graduation and leaving all of your best friends. If you don't tear up, do you have a heart?

11. Sweeter Than Fiction

This song was for a movie soundtrack and is super up-lifting. Sometimes I listen to it and remember that Taylor Swift believes in me. Maybe that's just me though?

12. Ronan

This is one of Taylor's most important works of art. She wrote this song for a woman who ran a blog about her four year old son who died of cancer. The proceeds of this song benefited cancer research and Taylor performed it at a Stand Up For Cancer telethon event. So basically, give it a listen if you want to cry.

13. Welcome To New York

This song is the symbol of Taylor's time living in New York that inspired changing her genre to pop. The best lyric of this song is, "You can want who you want, boys and boys and girls and girls."

14. Blank Space

This song was a response to the media where Taylor decided to take the persona the world had created for her and play the role of the "crazy ex-girlfriend". It went on to be Taylor's most successful single, playing the media at their own game.

15. Bad Blood

Even though many people will say this song is anti-feminist, they fail to realize the reality of the message. This song is about a friend betraying you, which is a valid reason to be inspired to write a song. (Reminder that Taylor never said it was about Katy Perry. Katy was actually the one who leaked that to the public)

16. Shake It Off

Lastly we have Taylor's multi-platinum hit, the feel-good anthem that along with Blank Space, was a classy dig at the media. This song reminds haters that no matter how much they (unfairly, as you can see by this article) say that all she does is date guys and write songs about them, Taylor will just shake it off.