15 Things To Talk About With Your Family That Aren't Politics

Thanksgiving doesn't have to be awkward this year.

9
Ginny

Thanksgiving is usually such an exciting time to go home, eat great food, catch up with family, and take a break from school and work. Although, this year is just a little bit different from the usual. Just a couple weeks ago Donald Trump was announced as our new President-Elect, and the world is still going crazy over it. It seems as if politics is all anyone has to talk about lately, and that makes going home to listen to even more political debates among the family all the more frustrating. Thankfully for you, I’ve compiled a list of things you can bring up in conversation to keep your crazy family members from driving you insane all day with their conflicting political views.

1. The World Series

How ‘bout them Cubs, am I right? It took the team one hundred years to win the thing, and now’s the perfect time to start making predictions and betting against your family when they’ll do it again.

2. College Football

Three teams in the top four were upset by unranked teams in one night a couple weekends ago?!? The schedule is heating up, and it’s crunch time. What teams are going to be in the playoffs? Which teams are playing which bowl games?

3. Black Friday Sales

What are the best deals? What do your family members plan on getting? Is there anything they want bad enough they’re willing to start a fight for it? What’s the game plan?

4. Finals

Despite how much you’re trying to avoid thinking about it this week, there are just two more weeks of classes when you get back before finals are here. What classes are going to be difficult for you? What will you have to do to get the grades you want? Now would also be a good time to warn your family that you will drop off the face of the earth for the week and remind them you will return only when you’ve caught up on all the sleep you missed out on throughout the semester.

5. Movies

Asking about recent and favorite movies is probably the easiest and safest way to start a new conversation. What’s in theaters you want to see? What good movies have you seen this year? Movie recommendations from your family?

6. Children

#Momlife is a common trend on facebook for a reason. Adults love to both brag and complain about what their children are up to. Ask them how the little ones are progressing? Ask them to rant about their kid’s crappiest day?

7. Internship and job search

Tell your family about your internship and job search. Where are you applying? Where do you want to work the most? Do they know anyone at these companies? Do they have any advice?

8. Christmas Wish List

Now is the perfect time to drop hints of what it is you’re hoping to get for Christmas and to talk to the members of the family you can never seem to find anything good for to get some ideas.

9. Food

You know you’re running out of ideas for cheap meal ideas at college, so you’ve settled for pizza rolls for the third night this week, but I’m sure the people in your family have some ideas.

10. Family Photos

You might as well take advantage of the rare occasion when everyone is looking somewhat decent and snap a good photo for your instagram.

11. Holiday Traditions

What traditions are unique to your family? How did they get started? What are some of the best and worst holidays your family has experienced?

12. Life Updates

Let’s be honest, if someone were to ask you what’s up with your older cousin, all you’d be able to come up with is their long, vague rants about significant others and backstabbing friends posted on facebook, but I’m sure there’s more going on in their lives they’d be willing to talk about if you just asked.

13. Teach your grandma how to properly use the computer

Now is a good time to show your grandma how to turn the caps lock off and show her that there is, in fact, a private message option on facebook instead of blasting all of your personal family details on your wall.

14. Party Days

Asking your parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents about their college party days is sure to produce some entertaining stories.

15. Significant Others

“Yes, Aunt Elizabeth, I’m still single. No, boys are not lining out the door to date me. No, I have no idea why that is. Yes, I know the right one will come eventually. Great talk. Do you want to split a slice of pie with me?”