15 Songs To Help With Depression

15 Songs To Help With Depression

The evidence is beginning to emerge suggesting that music therapy can improve the mental health of people with depression.

154
15 Songs To Help With Depression
pxhere

Fall is finally here! Time for pumpkin picking, football watching, and apple cider drinking. While there is so much excitement and many things to look forward to in the coming months, there may be an uninvited friend that shows up as well: your depression.

Seasonal affective disorder, or SAD, is a type of depression that’s related to changes in the season. SAD usually begins and ends at the same times every year, and unfortunately, most people begin to experience symptoms in the fall and continue into the winter.

While there are different treatments for SAD, including light therapy, psychotherapy, and medications, there is a strong source of relief that you may not have tapped into enough – music. The evidence is beginning to emerge suggesting that music therapy can improve the mental health of people with depression. So here is a playlist to help cheer you up on the hard days.

1. Rise Above This – Seether

“Call your name everyday when I seem so helpless. I’ve fallen down but I’ll rise above this. I’ll mend myself before it gets me.”

2. By the Grace of God – Katy Perry

“By the grace of God, I picked myself back up. I put one foot in front of the other and I looked in the mirror and decided to stay.”

3. Stand – Rascal Flatts

“On your knees you look up, decide you’ve had enough. You get mad, you get strong, wipe your hands, shake it off, then you stand”

4. Fight Song – Rachel Platten

“This is my fight song, take back my life song, prove I’m alright song. My power’s turned on. Starting right now I’ll be strong.”

5. 1-800-273-8255 – Logic

“It’s holding on, though the road’s long and seeing light in the darkest things. And when you stare at your reflection finally knowing who it is, I know you’ll thank God you did.”

6. Safe and Sound – Taylor Swift

“Just close your eyes, the sun is going down. You’ll be all right; no one can hurt you now. Come morning light, you and I’ll be safe and sound”

7. December – Sara Bareilles

“The artificial cold is more than I was hoping for. But not enough to consume the darkened state I’m in.”

8. Now is the Start – Fine Frenzy

“Do you hear that sound? It’s the sound of the lost gone found. It’s the sound of a mute gone loud. It’s the sound of a new start.”

9. Swim – Jack Mannequin

“When you’re not sure you’ll survive, you gotta swim. And swim when it hurts, the whole world is watching. You haven’t come this far to fall off the earth.

10. Firework – Katy Perry

“Do you feel already buried deep, six feet under scream but no one seems to hear a thing. Do you know that there’s still a chance for you, cause there’s a spark in you.”

11. Stronger – Kelly Clarkson

“What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger, stand a little taller. Doesn’t mean I’m lonely when I’m alone. What doesn’t kill you makes a fighter, footsteps even lighter.”

12. I Won’t Back Down – Tom Petty and The Heartbreaks

“No, I’ll stand my ground. Won’t be turn around and I’ll keep this world from draggin’ me down.”

13. Skyscraper – Demi Lovato

“Go on and try to tear me down, I will be rising from the ground like a skyscraper”

14. The Climb – Miley Cyrus

“The sturggles I’m facing, the chances I’m taking, sometimes might knock me down. But no, I’m not breaking.”

15. Shake it Out – Florence + The Machine

“Shake it out, shake it out, whoa. And its hard to dance with the devil on you back, so shake him off.”