15 Signs You're Not Used To Summers Away From Your College Best Friend

As much as you try to deny it, you do miss them more than you miss their free snacks.

9
Self

It's not easy living away from your college best friend for the summer. You're used to spending nearly every single day with them for nine months of the year, so when the three months of summer come that you have to spend apart, it seems nearly impossible and it truly is intolerable.

You two may live in different towns, states or even countries; the distance can vary from driving minutes to flying hours. When summer first began, I had the urge to walk upstairs to my best friend's room in our dorm, not used to being in two different states. There have been numerous times when we've made the mistake of telling the other that we're coming to their room or what time we plan on going to the dining hall; the forgetfulness never ends.

At the beginning of summer, you probably felt like you've taken part in a series of Nicholas Sparks movies full of people trying to make summers apart work, like Noah from "The Notebook." He says, "It's not gonna be easy. It's gonna be really hard. And we're gonna have to work at this every day." Maybe it doesn't completely relate, but you get the point.

It's difficult to fully be used to summers spent separated from your best friend. Here are some signs you're struggling with it just as much as I am. I hate to break it to you, but you probably never will be used to it.

1. First, you could barely get yourself to say goodbye for the summer.

2. You still ask them to hangout, forgetting that they no longer live on campus, down the hall or even in the same room.

3. You need to text them 24/7 to hear about their life and share everything about yours.

4. It feels like a major part of you is missing and you don't know how to cope with it.

5. You have many ideas of things to do together, but sadly realize you're too far apart to make them happen.

6. Your phone calls focus on the topic of missing each other.

7. You never get used to the distance and never fail to be dramatic about it.

8. When you do see each other, it feels like it has been an eternity.

9. Right after seeing them, you're already planning when the next time will be.

10. You deeply miss their pep talks that get you through every day.

11. And having someone to relate to 100 percent of the time.

12. You argue and act like a college couple trying to make it through summers apart.

13. Jealousy easily overflows you when you see pictures of them with their home friends.

14. Your conversations center around all the fun you're going to have together when you're back at college.

15. You're always looking forward to living with/near them again. The excitement gets you through the summer.

My best friends and I never fail to continuously count down the days until we move back onto campus. Since it's extremely hard to make plans that work for everyone, we're excited to put this issue behind us for another nine months. At school, we don't have to worry about distance; class times are our only problem.

Without your college best friend by your side, your days always feel off, which is why summers aren't easy. Going from living with someone and seeing them every single day to three months apart is a drastic change. Thankfully, for rising sophomores, juniors and seniors, we have the upcoming school year to look forward to, so let's keep counting down the days!

We'll all be back with our best friends soon and instead of having to drive or fly hours to see them, they'll be on campus, down the hall or even in the same room as you.