Summer ended and school is picking back up, and honestly, something about that thought was calming. Sitting tranquilly in the library was sounding almost like a vacation.
But, wait. No, dead wrong.
The end of summer does not mean the shenanigans end when school comes to town. Let's take those summer shenanigans (aka part-time job(s), going out, and hobbies) and put 12 to 19 hours of class, clubs, and sorority obligations on top of it. Suddenly you find yourself overwhelmed realizing you've spread yourself too thin. Regardless of feeling this way, you want to do all of the things. And all the things need to get done.
Here are some signs that you may need to slow your roll:
1. FOMO is a real life difficulty. You know you have to babysit at 7:20am, but you also know all of your friends are going out and so are you.
2. You've forgotten to eat.
3. You work to afford nice things like Cookout and the
occasional half priced sushi. But you splurge too often, which leads to picking up more hours. And now you're living on peanut butter.
5. You make the effort to go out for all the Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. This is you on Wednesday:
6. By Saturday this is what you have become:
7. The lack of sleep has caused your brain to drift, and you lose control over all communication skills.
8. Class starts at 8:10 a.m. and lasts until 3:25 p.m. And you have work at 4 p.m.
9. You're mom calls you mid-walk to class, and you answer. She just wants a simple chat, but this simple conversation turns into you complaining as you walk up the Hill to your next class.
10. Realizing you have a free day to do whatever your heart desires:
11. And then you get a text asking you to babysit, or cover a shift:
12. At the end of the day, your roommate tries to have a conversation with you, and you're tempted to just fall on the ground and close your eyes.13. You understand the obligations make your days long, but it will be worth it in the long run.14. Two weeks after you spent hours studying for your finals, you get your scores back; it's all A's with a dash of B+'s. Oh, and it's pay day.15. It's hard and annoying at times, but it's a part of life. Just keep on going.
Although all the things need getting done, don't spread yourself too thin. Take care of yourself. Leave time to watch 'The Office.' Pay attention to the activities you enjoy, and drop the ones you don't. After all, "life is short," but if you do it right it may come with some perks...