15 Powerful Literary Quotes To Relate To

An irresistible page-turner is a wonderful thing, but the very greatest novels pack sentences so prevailing that you stop reading, lower the book and simply live in the words for a moment.
24

The power and voice of a writer are like no other. These authors are able to connect to thousands of people with their beautiful language and words that they have created that so many others are able to relate to. In honor of amazing writers everywhere, here are 15 quotes from literary pieces of outstanding authors.

1) " What's in a name? that which wee call a rose. By any other name would smell as sweet." -William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet-

It is one's essence, what's on the inside, that counts.

2) " Let's be men; on all occasions. Show in our words the truth that's in our hearts. Letting the heart itself speak out, not hiding. Our feelings under masks of compliment." - Molière, The Misanthrope -

It does no good to mask your frankest thoughts, your truest feelings.

3) " You are so very pretty, my dear, so good and so mannerly, that I cannot help giving you a gift' (for this was a Fairy, who had taken the form of a poor country-woman, to see how far the civility and good manners of this pretty girl would go). 'I will give you a gift,' continued the Fairy." - Charles Perrault, The Fairy Tales of Charles Perrault, "The Fairy"-

Indeed, showing kindness to strangers goes a long way. Really, you should always treat others the way you would wish to be treated.

4) " We should scrutinise ourselves no little. Before assuming to condemn our neighbours. And add the weight of exemplary living. To any censure that we pass on others." - Molière, The Misanthrope-

It can be easy to judge others sometimes for their differences, but it does no good to critique.

5) " If you are divided among yourselves, you will be broken as easily as these sticks." -Aesop, Aesop's Fables, "The Father and His Sons"-

If we are united, we will surely thrive, just as a bundle of sticks is stronger than the sticks individually.

6) "'Alas!' said the Horse, 'if you really wish to be in good condition, you should groom me less, and feed me more.'" -Aesop, Aesop's Fables,"The Horse and Groom"-

Tend to the fundamental needs first, not the superficial ones.

7) " My taste is for freedom and I have no relish for constraint." -Miguel de Cervantes, Don Quixote-

I don't believe anyone can really be happy if they are not free.

8) "If you were fooling enough to sing all the summer, you must dance supperless to bed in the winter." -Aesop, Aesop's Fables, "The Ants and the Grasshopper"-

An important lessons, to be sure. It never hurts to work hard and prepare for difficult times ahead.

9) "' Never more pray to me for help, until you have done your best to help yourself, or depend upon it you will henceforth pray in vain.' Self-help is the best help." - Aesop, Aesop's Fables, "Hercules and the Wagoner"-

You can simply wait for your circumstances to change or for someone to save you. If you do not try to help yourself, who will?

10) "The Pictures of the Pen shall out-last those of the Pencil, and even Worlds themselves." -Aphra Behn, Oroonoko-

Books, poems, letters- there is a certain power and longevity in the written word.Imagine people decades or even centuries from now enjoying the same works I do.

11) "Fine feathers don't make fine birds." -Aesop, Aesop's Fables, "The Peacock and the Crane"-

Just because one's plumage is attractive does not mean one's temperament matches.

12) "As nearly as I may I'll play the penitent to you, but mine honestly shall not make poor my greatness; nor my power work with it." -William Shakespeare, Antony and Cleopatra-

It can be quite difficult not to let pride or vanity stand in the way of making an apology. But admitting one's mistakes does not diminish any power or greatness. It is a sign of a worthy leader.

13) "Honour and virtue are the ornaments of the mind, without which the body, though it be so, has no right to pass for beautiful." -Miguel de Cervantes, Don Quixote-

So much stock is placed in physical appearance, in the prettiness of the outside package. But such things do not really matter if one's soul does not possess such traits as honor and virtue; those are what makes one truly beautiful.

14) "We'll let time knit these gentle ties between us." -Molière, The Misanthrope-

Time is indeed quite mighty. It can heal wounds and build friendships when one least expects it.

15) "Then I defy you, stars!" -William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet-

I have found much about fate. It is true: sometimes we are simply given a bad lot. But why not try to make our own constellations?