15 Places To Visit And Explore In Toledo, OH

Explore Toledo's many wonders this summer!

653

As a Toledo native, I've heard people say that there's not a whole going on in this city or you just may think that because you have never been here. But I call this place my home and I will always know where to send visitors while they are here. Summer is the perfect time to explore Toledo and while there is no hockey in the summer, there is baseball. Adults and children have many options for a day trip or just somewhere to hang out for a while with friends or family.

1. Toledo Mud Hens

Fifth Third Field is home to the Toledo Mud Hens, a native's summer destination, and a visitor's prime place to visit. The Hens are a minor league team that is paired up with the Detroit Tigers, and we do get some Tigers here often. Attending games here is a whole new experience for a Toledo visitor, the atmosphere is so addicting and fun that you will want to come back. So when you are in Toledo over the summer or fall make sure you grab a seat here and visit Muddy and Muddonna. Oh and don't forget the helmet ice cream!

2. Hensville

While you are downtown for a Mud Hens game make sure you check out what else Toledo has to offer in the summer! Hensville is the heart of Toledo's Entertainment District and is new to the downtown area. There are constant events and many places to eat! Hensville also holds music concerts and festivals. So extend your stay and see what all downtown as to offer!

3. The HandleBar Toledo

The HandleBar is new to Toledo's downtown area. The handlebar will take you on a tour of downtown and they will even take requests if you have somewhere in mind you'd like to go. There are few things to know about the bike: it holds 16 passengers, it's BYOB and it runs March through November. So hop on and enjoy Toledo!

4. Toledo Farmers Market

The Toledo Farmers Market is special to Toledo residents. It is opened year round and features local farmers and merchants. In the summer you can catch the market on Market St. outdoors from May through November 8am-2pm and indoors from December through April 9am-1pm.

5. Toledo Zoo

The Toledo Zoo opened it's doors in 1900 and has been ranked the nations #1 zoo for many years in a row! The zoo has seen many renovations and animals come and go. Recently, the aquarium was completely renovated but the original structure was saved, only the inside was changed. The zoo is a must see while in Toledo, kids and adults will enjoy their day at the zoo cloudy or sunshine.

6. Maumee Bay State Park

Maumee Bay State Park is located, well, on the bay of Lake Erie. The park has a boardwalk through the wetlands, a long bike trail, a campground, a hotel, and lodges. The park also hosts many events throughout the year for locals to attend. The beach is a great place to hang out, have a picnic, build sand castles, and lay out in the sun. Take a day to just relax and forget about all your worries. Enjoy a book and the sunshine in this amazing park.

7. NINE

This Toledo restaurant has the best of both worlds at the Top of NINE. They have combined indoor space with direct access to an outdoor deck that spans three rooftops. During game times your ticket to the game will grant you access to Fifth Third Field's main concourse. Get the gang together and enjoy some dinner, drinks and views at this premiere rooftop destination.

8. Botanical Gardens

The Toledo Botanical Gardens started in 1964 and in 2015 the garden celebrated 50 years of growing. The garden is free to the public and is open year round during daylight hours. The garden also hosts many events throughout the summer including the Jazz in the Garden Concert Series this summer! The garden also has education programs for children and adults to enjoy. The botanical gardens is home to meadows, a secret forest, a large pond, a nature lab, and plenty of picnic areas. Enjoy the outdoors and take a stroll on these beautiful grounds while you're in Toledo.

9. Imagination Station

Imagination Station, formerly known as Cosi, is on the Maumee River downtown. This number 1 kids destination in Toledo is open year-round, with varying hours of course. Kids and adults can enjoy many exhibits in this building ranging from the Idea Lab, the Energy Factory, the Mind Zone, Little KIDSPACE, and a water works area! There are also many attractions such as the High Wire Cycle, BOYO which is like a giant YOYO, and the Simulator Theater.

10. Fleetwood Tap Room

Fleetwood is a part of Hensville park in the entertainment district and on the third Thursday of every month, select breweries 'take over' the taps at Fleetwood's Tap Room! On normal days Fleetwood's Tap Room, located on the first floor, features 48 craft beers on draft, a wide selection of whiskey, and a great menu. Fleetwood's also as a rooftop with views of downtown, a patio, and the Armory. The Armory is ideal for large events like wedding receptions and fundraisers.

11. Northwest Ohio Rib Off

The rib off in Toledo used to be located downtown on the river but now it is located at the Lucas County Fairgrounds. This year it is August 17th-20th AND Lee Brice is performing on August 18th. The rib off features so many different "restaurants" to display and brag about their ribs. Many of these people have won many awards for best ribs and/or best sauce. Take some time of your summer to enjoy this rib off and eat from some amazing vendors.

12. Toledo Art Museum

Take a break from the outdoors or enjoy a rainy day indoors at the Toledo Art Museum. This place was founded in 1901 and is home to over 30,000 works of art representing American and European painting, the history of art in glass, ancient Greek, Roman, and Egyptian works, Asian and African art, medieval art, sculpture, decorative arts, graphic arts, and modern and contemporary art. The campus is about 36 acres and 6 buildings. The museum holds many events such as glass blowing demonstrations, glass art workshops, readings and tours.

13. Oak Openings

Oak Openings is located in Swanton. "The Oak Openings is a globally distinct ecosystem, designated by The Nature Conservancy, a renowned conservation organization, as “One of the 200 Last Great Places on Earth.” (About) Oak Openings is just one of the big parks in the Toledo area you should visit.

14. Wildwood Metro Park

Wildwood is a 493-acre park in Toledo and is the former estate of the Toledo's Stranahan family. The house on the land is now known as the Manor House. The land also features Oak Grove School and the Ward Pavilion. Wildwood is surrounded by woods, trails, and fields for visitors to enjoy!

15. Hollywood Casino

After a long days work a long week of work you might need a night out with friends. You can hang out at the Hollywood Casino located on the river in Toledo right off of 75. The casino is perfect for relaxing, eating, and/or drinking. After exploring all of Toledo's attractions take a minute, hour, or night to hang out with the girls or guys and enjoy some good ol' gambling.