15 Pieces Of Advice For On Campus Freshman At SNHU

Everything you need to know as an incoming freshman at Southern New Hampshire University.

314
Sarah Creeden

Here I am going into my senior year, and I am thinking back to when I was starting my freshman year at Southern New Hampshire University, way back in the fall of 2013. I wish I had a guide that gave me advice on what events I should attend, what clubs might be the best for me, and which professors were the best, etc. In consideration to my wishes freshman year, I have come up with a list of advice for all of SNHU’s incoming freshman.

1. Actually go and pay attention at orientation.

Your Orientation Leader is more than likely going to be the first person you meet at SNHU. They’ve been through all those first conversations and nervous, but exciting times before. Don’t be afraid to ask them any questions that you may have. That’s what they are there for. Don’t forget, they want to get to know you as much as you want to get to know them and everyone else.

2. Go to the Involvement Fair and join a club.

There is no better way to get involved in a club. If you decide to go to the Involvement Fair then you will get to meet just about every single club and organization that SNHU has to offer. Whether you’re looking to get involved with Student Government or Drama Club or RadioSNHU or the Cake Decorating Club, this school has something for you, trust me.

3. Take advantage of the events that clubs and Student Involvement put on.

SNHU has some pretty great events that I can guarantee you will have a good time at. Big Money Bingo, Name That Tune, Late Night Breakfast, and CAPE’s Major Concert are just a few of the traditions that this school holds dear. Plus, there’s tons of free merch at a lot of these events. You can never go wrong with an extra SNHU T-shirt.

4. Get to know your professors.

Be sure to get to know your professors. They could be your lifeline if you end up struggling in a class. Besides, if you put in the hard work, they could write you a killer letter of recommendation.

5. Go to you RA’s programs.

Believe it or not, your RA isn’t there to break up the parties or give you a hard time. Most of the time, your RA will probably have free food at the program, usually something you won’t find in the dining hall. And trust me, you’re going to appreciate the free food when you are running out of meal plan money at the end of the semester. Besides, if you don’t go to the programs, how else will you get to know your floormates?

6. Don’t hide in your room.

Yes, college can be scary, especially during the first few weeks, but you can’t shut yourself out even if you want to. It won’t get any better unless you put yourself out there and make friends. So go sit in the common room and immerse yourself in the wonders of your dorm’s community. You never know who you might meet!

7. If you’re having trouble in class, go to the Learning Center.

The Learning Center has a ton of tutors who can help you in just about every subject you can imagine. Need help in Statistics? No problem. How about Advanced Public Speaking? They got you.

8. Take classes outside of your major.

You might love being a psychology major or a business administration major, but that doesn’t mean you can’t explore. Sure, you do have to take some classes outside your major for your gen-eds, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take more to fill up your free electives. Go take intro to film history class where you get to watch movies all the time or take digital music where you get to learn how to mix beats on a computer. Hey, even take a video game design class and learn how to make game. It’s always cool learning new stuff.

9. Eat Fast Eddie’s omelets for breakfast. Every day.

You’ve never tasted a delicious omelet until you’ve met Fast Eddie. He’s got all sorts of veggies and meats so you can customize your order. Always say, “Yes, please” when he asks you if you want cheese.

10. Go to the concerts.

SNHU has a pretty great music scene. Just about every week you can find some band or artist jamming in the Last Chapter Pub. There’s usually a vast array of genres, too, which is good for everyone’s music taste. Every year, CAPE has the major concert where, in the past, they have brought in bands and artists such as Timeflies, Sage The Gemini, Mat Kearney, and much, much more. RadioSNHU even brings in some local bands from the New Hampshire/Massachusetts area for their annual Rock the Night Away Concert. You can even check out SNHU’s own rock band called M as in Mancy.

11. Go Greek if you want.

SNHU has a small but sturdy Greek life. Each of the three sororities and three fraternities offer something different. The three sororities are Phi Omega Psi, Phi Delta Beta, and Kappa Chi and the three fraternities are Phi Delta Psi, Phi Delta Theta, and Kappa Delta Phi. Go and meet the brothers and sisters of each of these organizations before you decide!

12. Don’t do your laundry on the weekends.

Whatever you do, avoid the laundry room at all costs on Saturdays and Sundays. For some reason, everyone and their mom decides that those are the days that they need to clean their clothes. Personally, I recommend Wednesday nights for laundry, but that’s just me.

13. Popularity means nothing in college.

Don’t try to climb the top of the social ladder. College isn’t like that. As soon as you try being the queen or king bee, you’re going to run into a problem. No one has time for that here. Believe it or not, high school hierarchy is not acceptable in a college environment.

14. Get a job.

SNHU has plenty of jobs for student workers. You could work in Athletics, Student Involvement, Student Affairs, or Academic Advising. There are so many offices on campus that hire students for part time work. Take advantage of this, it’s a great way to earn some extra cash. Keep an eye out for when Residence Life is taking applications for RA’s or when Admissions is looking for Penmen Guides. Be aware, though, that those are some of the most coveted jobs on campus! You can find job listings under the Student Employment page on the MySNHU homepage.

15. Keep an open mind and be accepting.

You’re going to meet all kinds of people at SNHU, whether they are like you or not. If they aren’t like you, don’t push them aside. Give every single person you meet a chance. You’ve probably been told a thousand times that your college friends will be your lifelong friends. Well, that’s no lie. The people that you meet here will stick around for years to come. Embrace everything.