15 Personal Enrichment Classes You Probably Didn't Know Auburn Offered

From belly dancing to beer brewing, there's something for everyone.

12
Arjun Walia

Looking to pick up a new hobby? Want to add an extra skill to your resume? Just want to branch out and spice up your everyday routine?

Whether you're interested in belly dancing or Photoshop, Auburn has a community class for you. Although you won't receive credit for these extracurricular courses, you could certainly uncover a new passion. I know I've tried both knitting and pottery, and although I didn't find my niche (I found out I have no artistic ability whatsoever), I definitely gained a deeper respect for artists and their talents and I had a ton of fun in the process.

1. Beer Brewing

Never worry about what beer to order with your food. And impress your friends by brewing your own beer. Enough said.

2. Calligraphy

Now you'll know how to make your own elegant wedding invitations for your Big Day.

3. Essential Oils

Never really understood what essential oils are or how to use them? Have no idea if you should be using eucalyptus or lavender? This class could be for you...

4. Self Defense Tactics

Kim Possible, anybody?

5. Lifeguard Training

Learn how to save a life and score a new job this summer.

6. Floral Design

Develop an eye for flower arrangements so the next time you walk into Hobby Lobby you're not at a complete loss looking at all the flowers, and leaves, and ferns, and moss, wondering how you're supposed to put it all together to make a centerpiece.

7. Drawing

Never really learned how to draw a 3D object, never learned what focal points are? Grab a pencil and paper because you're about to be the next Leonardo da Vinci (okay, maybe not...but maybe, you never really know!!!!).

8. Water Color

For those of you who prefer paint over lead.

9. Belly Dancing

I mean, honestly, who wouldn't want to be able to do this? Burn calories while having fun and learning a new talent? Yes please.

10. Pottery

Okay, so yes, pottery is challenging. YouTube makes it look entirely too easy. But once you get the hang of it, you can create your own flower pots and kitchen bowls and that's pretty cool.

11. How To Write A Novel

Whether you have an idea but have yet to begin writing or you're all done and ready to publish, this class (taught by a published author) is sure to make you the next J.K. Rowling (well, one can hope).

12. Photoshop

If you've ever opened Photoshop and tried to do ANYTHING, I'm sure you felt like chunking your computer across the room. This class would be extremely useful for any type of journalism, public relations, or design students. Or anyone interested in photography.

13. American Sign Language

In a time when learning multiple languages is all the rage and can be the one skill that puts you above all the rest, why not learn a language as beautiful and fun as sign language?

14. How To Use Excel

Okay so this one is a little more practical, but really, if you can master Excel, you automatically have an advantage over your competitors.

15. Knitting

This Christmas, surprise your friends with a scarf or comfy pair of socks and quickly become the favorite person in the room. Also good for stress relief when those same friends are driving you crazy. It's a win win.

To sign up for any of these classes, Google community courses in Auburn and you'll find the listing. And as always, get out and explore your community and you'll be surprised at what all you can get involved in!!