15 Life Lessons Taught By 'How I Met Your Mother'

While Ted Mosby was searching for his wife, we found a little bit of inspiration.

378
Thought Catalog

"How I Met Your Mother," probably one of the greatest shows in existence, has not only made us laugh until we couldn't breathe but has also left us feeling inspired. From Marshall and Lilly's extraordinary love life to Barney's "Bro Code," there's a little piece in there for all of us. We watched Ted's journey to find his wife and along that journey, we also found some inspiration for ourselves.

1. You learn who you are when you're single.

Being single is the perfect time in your life to live just for yourself. Every decision you make is your own, and there is no one there to stop you. So keep living your life, make a few mistakes along the way and find out the person who you truly are.

2. Nothing good happens after 2 a.m.

100 percent fact. Although you may not think the party isn't over yet...it's over...go home, you are probably drunk. Your drunk self will thank you for it in the morning.

3. Do not ever become the blitz.

FOMO is real, and once you become the blitz...it's pretty hard to get yourself out of it.

4. It's okay to make mistakes.

All the mistakes you make in life are the steps that lead you to where you are suppose to be. Although you may not understand it at the time, you've made those mistakes for a reason. So don't beat yourself up to much about it, everything will be alright.

5. It's important to get closure.

You can never fully move on unless you leave the relationship in the past, and dating a person in your immediate friend group can make that process a little bit harder, but it is necessary. You are both in each other's life for a reason, and although the relationship didn't work out the way you had hoped it's important, for yourself, to get the closure you need. No matter how hard it may seem, get it. You'll be happy you did.

6. Honesty is everything.

A lesson I had to learn myself the hard way but it is true. The most important thing you can do is be honest to yourself and to others no matter what. The truth may seem hard to tell at first, but lies get you absolutely nowhere.

7. Take every "challenge" life throws (or doesn't) throw at you.

Be like Barney and consistently challenge yourself, or just never fear away from what life throws at you. "Challenge accepted."

8. People can change.

People can change for the better if you just give them the chance. Sometimes the mistakes a person makes are necessary for them in order to move forward and find out who they really are. Although they may have caused you pain or their past may seem unable to handle if a person is willing to change they will, and they may just surprise you.

9. Friends are forever.

The friends you make and hold onto forever are the people who will always be there for you. The people who understand the mistakes you have made, and help you get through them, the people who will always be in your corner and the people you never have to worry about losing. Friends are just as important as family, and sooner or later, the friends you make become your family.

10. Never lose hope.

The minute you give up hope on yourself is the minute you let the universe win. Never let the universe win.

11. Just...let it go.

There's no use in holding a grudge. Grudges are the weights that hold you back from living your life. No one says you have to forgive and forget, but there is no positive outcome for holding hatred over someone else's head. Keep living your life for yourself, and it will be a happy one.

12. Keep moving on.

Don't let past experience or people get in your way of living your life. Everything happens for a reason, and you deserve to be happy.

13. Never settle.

You deserve the absolute best and do not let anyone tell you differently.

14. Don't regret your past.

Your past is what makes you who you are. Yes, some of your past may be a little "iffy" but don't let it stop you from being you.

15. Live in the moment.

Don't ever let life pass you by. Take every chance life throws at you, make mistakes, make memories and never stop laughing. You only get to live each moment once, so don't let it pass you by.