15 'How I Met Your Mother' Quotes About Life, Love And Everything In Between

"How I Met Your Mother" may have ended, but its nine great seasons will always live on through its many excellent quotes.
104975

In the nine seasons of "How I Met Your Mother," viewers have seen amazing character development, heart-wrenching moments, and countless hilarious scenes. However, one of the most important things to take from this show is the many meaningful quotes that teach viewers great lessons about every aspect of life. When Ted is speaking to his kids about the lessons he learned from the choices he's made, it's almost like he's speaking to the viewers and offering them valuable life advice. Several characters in this show have said things that provide direction, hope, and wisdom to its viewers. Here are 15 of the best "How I Met Your Mother" quotes that can guide you and positively influence your way of thinking:

1. "You may think your only choices are to swallow your anger or throw it in someone's face, but there's a third option: You can just let it go, and only when you do that is it really gone and you can move forward." - Ted Mosby

2. "That's how it goes kids. The friends, neighbors, drinking buddies, and partners in crime you love so much when you're young, as the years go by, you just lose touch. You will be shocked, kids, when you discover how easy it is in life to part ways with people forever. That's why, when you find someone you want to keep around, you do something about it." - Ted Mosby

3. "Because sometimes, even if you know how something's going to end, that doesn't mean you can't enjoy the ride." - Ted Mosby

4. "If you're looking for the word that means caring about someone beyond all rationality and wanting them to have everything they want no matter how much it destroys you, it's love. And when you love someone you just, you…you don't stop, ever. Even when people roll their eyes, and call you crazy. Even then. Especially then. You just—you don't give up. Because if I could just give up…if I could just, you know, take the whole world's advice and—and move on and find someone else, that wouldn't be love. That would be… that would be some other disposable thing that is not worth fighting for. But I—that's not what this is." - Ted Mosby

5. "If you're not scared then you're not taking a chance. And if you're not taking a chance, then what the hell are you doing anyway?" - Ted Mosby

6. "When you meet the right person, you know it. You can't stop thinking about them. They are your best friend and your soulmate. You can't wait to spend the rest of your life with them. No one and nothing else can compare." - Klaus

7. "Shouldn't we hold out for the person who doesn't just tolerate our little quirks but actually kinda likes them?" - Ted Mosby

8. "If you keep giving up on people so quickly, you're gonna miss out on something great." - Robin Scherbatsky

9. "The future is scary, but you can't just run back to the past because it's familiar. Yes it's tempting, but it's a mistake." - Robin Scherbatsky and Barney Stinson

10. "But love doesn't make sense! You can't logic your way into or out of it. Love is totally nonsensical. But we have to keep doing it or else we're lost and love is dead, and humanity should just pack it in. Because love is the best thing we do." - Ted Mosby

11. "The great moments of your life won't necessarily be the things you do, they'll also be the things that happen to you. Now, I'm not saying you can't take action to affect the outcome of your life, you have to take action, and you will. But never forget that on any day, you can step out the front door and your whole life can change forever. You see, the universe has a plan, kids, and that plan is always in motion. A butterfly flaps its wings, and it starts to rain. It's a scary thought, but it's also kind of wonderful. All these little parts of the machine constantly working, making sure that you end up exactly where you're supposed to be, exactly when you're supposed to be there. The right place at the right time." - Ted Mosby

12. "You can't cling to the past. Because no matter how tightly you hold on, it's already gone." - Ted Mosby

13. "I know it's a mistake, but there are certain things in life where you know it's a mistake but you don't really know it's a mistake because the only way to really know it's a mistake is to make the mistake and look back and say 'yep, that was a mistake.' So really, the bigger mistake would be to not make the mistake, because then you'd go your whole life not knowing if something is a mistake or not." - Lily Aldrin

14. "If you're really honest with yourself about what you want out of life, life gives it to you." - Ted Mosby

15. "But that's the funny thing about destiny: it happens whether you plan it or not. It turns out I was just too close to the puzzle to see the picture that was forming." - Ted Mosby