15 Disney Villains Ranked From Least Evil To Most Evil

From killing puppies to turning themselves into cats, they'll try anything to be on top.

7836
Alexis Mann

Love them or hate them, Disney villains have the power to make or break any movie. Without them our damsels wouldn't be in distress and our princes would have no one to save. Not every villain is created equally though. Some have evil in their bones and some, well, probably can't even spell evil. It's time to find out which lowlife scoundrel reigns more malicious than the rest.

15. Gaston from "Beauty and the Beast"

Let's get something straight: Gaston is NOT evil. Yes, he did an evil thing when he tried to kill Beast, but he's not an inherently evil person. He's just a self-absorbed idiot with an unhealthy obsession. Also his plan backfired and he got himself killed, so clearly being a villain isn't his calling in life.

14. Captain Hook from "Peter Pan"

I don't completely blame Captain Hook for wanting to kill Peter Pan, I mean he is the reason he has a hook (oops). But other than an insane need for revenge, Hook doesn't quite come off as the evil pirate I'm sure the "Peter Pan" creators intended him to be. Especially whenever his crocodile arch-nemesis is around.

13. Queen of Hearts from "Alice in Wonderland"

I'll be honest, I've never really understood why the Queen of Hearts is so upset. Every other Disney villain is evil because they're seeking revenge or want to take over a kingdom, but the Queen of Hearts already rules over a kingdom... and as far as I can tell Alice hasn't done anything to her to warrant vengeance. So pretty much what we have here is a sadistic psychopath with too much control.

12. Lady Tremaine from "Cinderella"

Lady Tremaine is a special (and by special I mean extra scary) kind of villain because she manages to be evil without physically harming anyone. She makes Cinderella's life miserable from an almost purely psychological standpoint and that is terrifying. I understand though, I'd probably be a mean old hag too if my daughters were as annoying as Drizella and Anastasia.

11. Evil Queen from "Snow White"

Congratulations to the Evil Queen for turning herself into something that looks like it came straight out of my childhood nightmares. If this list were based purely on how scary the villains looked, the Evil Queen would be number one on the list. Unfortunately her bite doesn't quite match her bark. If she really wanted Snow White to die she should have stabbed her instead of feeding her a poison with such an easily accessible antidote.

10. Shere Khan from "The Jungle Book"

I used to think tigers were cute, but now whenever I see one at the zoo I can't help but think of Shere Khan's creepy glowing eyeballs. The most sociopathic of the Disney villains, Shere Kahn's goal is to kill Mowgli and eventually the rest of the human race as vengeance against the hunters that killed his family. But someone should inform him that there are billions of people on this planet and he is only one animal.

9. Cruella de Vil from "101 Dalmatians"

Repeat after me: Killing puppies for fur is never not evil.

8. Yzma from "The Emperor's New Groove"

Yzma is a pretty stellar villain, if you ask me. Unlike her villainous allies, her evil plan to gain control of a kingdom actually came pretty close to working. I would have put her higher on the list, but as soon as she turned herself into a cat she lost all evil street-cred.

7. Hans from "Frozen"

Hans is the guy that every girl is afraid they'll accidentally fall for. The kind that will convince you that you have an unbreakable chemistry, tell you he loves you, ask you to marry him and then TRIES TO KILL YOUR SISTER AND TAKE OVER YOUR KINGDOM. You know the kind.

6. Mother Gothel from "Tangled"

Mother Gothel got away with kidnapping for 18 years and that's a pretty impressive feat. With that being said, you would think after 18 years she would know not to leave her victim in the tower alone so she can easily escape. Rookie mistake, Gothel.

5. Maleficent from "Sleeping Beauty"

You have to be pretty dang evil to curse a child because you aren't invited to their christening (okay, there might have been more to it than that, but still, that's the straw that broke the camels back). Also, this crazy woman can turn into a dragon. If that doesn't scream "evil" I don't know what does.

4. Jafar from "Aladdin"

Jafar is the kind of villain who has evil running through his veins. From day one his only goal was to kill Jasmine and take over Agrabah with absolutely no shame or remorse. I probably would've ranked him higher on the list, but I kind of wanted to punish him for having a sidekick as annoying as Iago.

3. Scar "The Lion King"

If Disney villains had resumes, Scar's would be the cream of the crop. He single-handedly convinced the only heir to the throne to run far away and then took over an entire kingdom. And I'm sure we can all remember that time he THREW HIS BROTHER OFF A CLIFF. Long live the king for sure.

2. Ursula from "The Little Mermaid"

Ursula has always been at the top of my Disney villains list for a lot of reasons. First of all, she didn't curse or trick Ariel into doing anything, she merely gave her the means to accomplish a lifelong dream, in exchange for a small fee, which is the ultimate evil manipulation. Second she has the power to turn herself into a beautiful human (why she doesn't keep that form all the time I still haven't figured out). And third, she keeps a grotto full of the "Poor Unfortunate Souls" she's takes just so she can relive her past deals. Freaky. But also the makings of one of the best Disney villain songs ever.

1. Hades from "Hercules"

Hades' dry, sarcastic sense of humor and quick wit make him plenty of people's favorite Disney villain. But people, let's not forget, he tried to take over the world by killing an innocent newborn. There's a special place in hell for someone like that... oh, wait.