15 College Essentials, From My Backpack To Yours

My top 15 recommendations for your college backpack.

120

We have all been in the position of forgetting things before or not knowing what was expected of us in class. Follow these tips and find out what I keep in my backpack so that you're prepared for your classes.

1. Start By Getting Yourself a Durable Water Resistant Backpack

I found this tip out quick when moving to college in the Midwest. Originally I am from California and live in an area that doesn't get harsh winters so, when I moved to college I gave my bag an upgrade. I now have something that's protective over my belongings and keep them dry in the winter. I remember the first few times it rained, I was so shocked and worried about my papers and computers. Thankfully I never had to replace any of my electronics.

2. Your Computer 

This one may sound like common sense for some, however, there are many classes where electronics aren't allowed or that you don't need to utilize a computer in. So, the question is "Ally, why would you tell me to bring a computer is I don't need one in my class?" well, the reason I'd still suggest bring one is that you never know when it could come in handy. Many times I've not needed it for class but, would have found it helpful to have in between classes, to complete work faster, or if I'd had it, I would've had the opportunity to stay on campus longer to get more done. Plus, It doesn't hurt to have it and be prepared. You may not need it but there are too many days that I've thought these things but, then just ended up wishing I had it.

3. All Charging Cords For Your Devices (Phones and Computers)

This is a big one ladies and gents, it is no fun when you don't have your phone or computer charged. When this happens it's going to be that one time you needed the cord and did not have it. Don't run into the situation where you need it, always be prepared with the technology need as well as the cords that go along with them.

4. Computer Glasses 

I ordered my pair off Zennie.com and they are no prescription. However, the frames in them are blue light and they help to block the harmful LED light rays from hurting my eyes. There is a yellowish tint to the things I look at when I wear them however, I would recommend them, especially if you have a lot of screen time exposure like I do. They come in lots of cute shapes and patterns as well they help to prevent/reduce migraines and glare from computer and phone screens. Better to wear glasses now to protect your eyes so you won't have as many eye issues in the future.

5. A Reusable Water Bottle 

Don't forget to stay hydrated in class. I find that if I don't carry a water around with me then I won't drink any all day. I know that is bad for you, so just carry a water bottle. Carrying a water bottle makes me think about my water intake as well as making it easy and accessible to get the water I need. Plus, you can get really cute cheap ones and while doing this you are also helping reduce the amount of plastic pollution we have.

6. Headphones 

I can't forget these! They are so handy and needed throughout the day for music, listening to videos or lecture recordings.

7. Pens/Pencils 

Remember, some teachers don't allow technology to be used in their classroom and you will need a writing material to take notes on. As well, many times I've had to take tests that were needed to be completed in #2 pencil. However, I prefer pens. Also taking your notes by hand I've heard helps you to remember them better so don't forget your writing tools.

8. A Planner 

This has my entire life in it, my brain is always scattered with a million things to do. This tool helps to keep my life organized and plan out how I'm going to efficiently use my time. I try to always carry it with me, I do this so I do not plan two things at once and to keep on track of getting accomplished what needs to be done.

9. A Sack Lunch or Snacks 

I'm the type of person who gets hungry really easily, and I prefer to snack throughout the day so it is nice to know I have something in my bag that will help to refuel me. For snacks, I typically have fruit, a granola bar, or some sort of chips. When I bring lunch, I usually just add a sandwich to that mix. Plus when I have food on campus, I won't go eat something unhealthy and I get to stay longer. For me staying longer is a big deal and a good idea, this is because I always seem to just get so much more done versus when I'm home.

10. Notebooks/Folders 

I have one for each of my classes and something that helps me is I color coordinate them so can easily know which one is for what subject.

11. A Mini Stapler 

It sounds like a weird thing to carry but, I can't tell you the number of times it has come in handy for me or someone else. It also shows that you are prepared. Since freshman year I have always had one teacher who has required this in her classes, for convenient usage and professionalism purposes, really since then I also have found it just easier to have one too.

12. School ID

It probably isn't needed since I'm not a freshman and don't need it to get into the dorm, however, I find that keeping it in my backpack is a great place for it and that it may come in handy some time or if I need to print on campus. Also, you may need it so a teacher can verify that it is YOU on a test day, or you may need it for your student ID number for test day.

13. Post It Notes/Index Cards 

I prefer post-it notes, but I end up having a scattered brain if I don't write those quick notes down then I often over book myself or forget what needs to be my primary focus.

14. Feminine Products 

This is one I probably don't really need to explain, I would just say just be prepared for yourself and if someone else isn't then, you can help them.

15. Highlighters 

I just like to carry these to mark what better needs to be paid attention too. Color coating things too I've heard can also help you to remember things better.

I hope these quick 15 tips help you to be more prepared, and that you found them relatable. It is a more general list but if you are stuck or always forgetting something I'd recommend giving yourself this little checklist. Look then to see how many things are missing and also you can look for more specific items that you are maybe needing to add to your personal list. Good luck, and thanks for reading!!!!