15 Childhood Games That You'll Still Love Playing Today

What better way to spend a Saturday evening than with a couple of beers and friends indulging yourself in nostalgic games.

151
Amazon

Board games were the highlight of most '90s kid's lives and that hasn't changed. Next time you're bored on a Saturday night, make yourself and your friends a couple of drinks and blow the dust off of some of your old games. You won't regret it and it will always promise a fun time! If you need inspiration for your next game night, here are 15 board games that you might've forgotten about that are still great and almost necessary options.

1. Guess Who

The game that left you wondering how in the world your opponent already knew that you had Claire for your guessing card. You instantly determine that they must've cheated and saw you pick it up from the pile because how else is it possible for them to realize that quickly? For a fun twist, try making your own cards based off of celebrities or other people you know in your day-to-day life.

2. Trouble

Getting a 6 to start your turn was the biggest hurdle you had to overcome. You'd be forced to sit and wait patiently while you watched all your other family members get their players into the safety area while you were still stuck back at the start with all four of your unmoving pieces. I'm pretty sure that's why the game designer decided to make the dice contained in a bubble dome because the game was all of a sudden worth it when you got to hear that satisfying "pop."

3. Mouse Trap

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone ever actually played Mouse Trap. Instead, you'd spend hours trying to set it up perfectly so that you could get the marble all the way to the end of the nearly impossible obstacle course. If you could never successfully finish the course when you were ten, just think about how much better you'd be at it now

4. Operation

One of the most stressful games designed for children to play. I mean anyone who played this game was practically conditioned to have a rapid spike in their blood pressure when they heard the buzzer go off—but the fact that you removed a wrench out of the man was so satisfying and probably inspired children to become future surgeons.

5. Uno

The game that would usually last around 5 hours but was always worth it in the end when you were that one lucky person to scream "UNO!" before anyone else noticed how many cards you had left.

6. Sorry!

Whether you had the regular version or the Disney version like me, this was always one of the first games that you brought out of your game closet. You never knew which card you were going to draw and it always promised a suspenseful and exciting time.

7. Perfection

One of the most stressful games but so satisfying when you got all the pieces in the correct order in time. Think about how much more fun this game would be now that alcohol is a thing. It would definitely up the stakes—that's for sure.

8. Don't Break the Ice

Another stressful game and often the one that usually caused many family feuds. Nowadays, this game is actually a great way to release pent-up anger.

9. Mastermind

The game that's a layman's battleship and had a second bonus of making your mom really angry when she accidentally vacuumed up the discarded pieces. (I'm sure your roommate will be more understanding.)

10. Othello

The game that everyone's mom bought them for their birthday but also the game that they never actually opened. How do you even play? It might be time to find out now. Maybe it's one of those games that is really fun but nobody's realized it yet.

11. Barrel of Monkeys

This is arguably one of the most fun games that you played in your childhood. No one actually knew how to play the game but that didn't matter because you'd have just as much fun spending hours trying to see which one of your friends can make the longest chain of plastic monkeys.

12. Yahtzee

This is the game that your parents all wanted to play so that automatically means that avid adult game players will love it.

13. LIFE

This game is self-explanatory, but that doesn't matter. It is still one of the best games for all wishers and dreamers to play.

14. Cranium

This game had such a strong potential, but the issue is that you could never successfully make the clay sculptures in time let alone even use the forever dried out clay. Bust out your old Play-Doh sets and bring this game back into the spotlight to give it the attention it deserves.

15. Candy Land

The self-proclaimed "fun sister" of the game Monopoly—it didn't end nearly as many friendships as Monopoly did. What better way to spend a Saturday evening with some friends all clamoring to get to the candy king first?