15 Animes You Should Watch If You're A Real Anime Lover

I'm an avid lover of anime, so sharing that love with the world is definitely going to happen.

1357
Emily M

I am a huge lover of anime. If I could, I would probably watch it all the time instead of doing the things I ought to do. But that could also be said for reading books or watching TV for other people. So, today I'm going to give you a list of animes, different genres, that I think are worth watching. I watch a lot of these on either Crunchyroll,Funimation, or Netflix.

1. Fairy Tail

An anime that has been put under five categories on Crunchyroll: action, adventure, comedy, fantasy, and shounen. Oh boy, where do I start? This is one of the first animes I started watching. It follows, mostly, the story of teenager Lucy Heartifilia, a celestial mage who wants to join the magic guild Fairy Tail.

In the first episode she meets one of the guilds stronger mages : Natsu. He actually ends up trying to save her and the situation just is kind of sticky because Natsu gets sick on any kind of transportation. But eventually, Lucy ends up in the guild and there are a lot of adventures with a deep story line and intriguing character.

This anime is all about magic, and hey! There are dragons involved! Some of it gets really tricky and it can be hard to explain, so it would just be easier for you to watch it! I found it on Crunchyroll first, but I think Netflix has some of the episodes as well.

2. Blue Exorcist

You can find this interesting anime on both Netflix and Crunchyroll. It's also in five different categories: action, adventure, comedy, fantasy, and shounen. This anime is one that I was on the edge of my seat for.

It has a collision of humans, exorcists and demons, including even having a realm for humans and a realm for the demons. It's an interesting twist when the main character happens to be both a demon and an exorcist. If you like the darker side of anime, then I think this anime would definitely be for you.

3. Yuri!!! On Ice

First off, there is only one season right now and that will infuriate you. But I promise that it's worth it. This anime does have a hint of romance between the two main characters, Yuri and Viktor. Do you like ice skating? How about competitive figure skating? If you said yes to either of these, this is definitely the anime for you.

If you said no, I suggest watching the first episode and then letting me know how you feel about it. Yuri is a skater with no confidence in competition, but manages to copy a routine from 5-time consecutive world champion Viktor.

When Yuri shows the routine he's copied to a friend, in private, it ends up on YouTube so the world can see it - including Viktor, who takes interest. Watch it to find out what happens! A gif from my favorite episode is below, so sneak peek!

4. Yona of the Dawn

Okay, so I haven't finished this anime yet, but what I've seen so far is so worth it. It's a fantasy/shoujo anime with a heartbreaking beginning. Yona is a princess to Hiryuu Palace, and she is in love with her cousin Soo-won, but her father opposes a marriage between the two.

Her sixteeth birthday arrives! But so does disaster, heartache, and betrayal. In the end, Yona ends up having to run away from her home with her friend and servant Hak until she can become strong enough to go back.

5. Dance With Devils

Another anime that I have not been able to finish, but again what I've seen it's totally worth it. This one I know can be found on Funimation but not on Crunchyroll. It's about a girl who unknowingly has been put into a world of danger when her grandpa and mother hid a great deal of power within her.

With her is hidden the Forbidden Grimoire, a thing of great power that vampires and demons are searching for. The grimoire can give the holder the power to control the world. So, she is basically a pawn for the four boys on the student council, all of whom are demons. What's even more shocking is the discovery that her own brother is a powerful exorcist - and maybe more?

6. Sword Art Online

This is an action packed anime that is just amazing. The first season is SAO, but then there is also Alfheim, which is a second season that was thrown into the first season (it's weird), then the third season which is Gun Gale Online.

The anime follows the story of a teenage boy in the future that has virtual reality online game playing with the technology Nerve Gear. The first game he gets? Sword Art Online. But things take a turn for the worse when the maker of the game makes it known that no one can log out, so no one can leave the virtual reality. The biggest problem? Well, death in the game means death in real life.

7. Skip Beat!

A funny anime that is also centered around revenge for the main character, Kyoko Mogami. It's considered a comedy, romance, drama, shoujo, and fantasy. The revenge in the story comes about when the 16-year-old Kyoko's heart is broken by her childhood friend, Shotaro. She wants to show him that he's missing out on something amazing! But really, this is Kyoko's story on how she finds herself and realizes that revenge isn't worth it.

8. Sekai Ichi Hatsukoi - World's Greatest First Love

This is a comedy/romance anime. FOREWARNING: it's a romance between men. So, if you don't like that, then you should probably steer clear of it. It does have a couple of risque scenes, so please also don't watch unless you're older.

Now, this anime mostly follows the story of Ritsu and Takano, but does also include two other stories of two other guys. It's good, I promise, just a bit weird and sometimes awkward. BUT IT IS SO ADORABLE! I love this show, and have probably watched it a couple more times because of how cute it is. A first love that was thought lost, but now found! However, it's difficult for Ritsu to accept it when he feels as jaded as he does.

9. Fruits Basket

The first anime I ever watched, so of course it's on the list. This is such a cute little anime, filled with magic and a little bit of romance. It follows the story of Tohru Honda, an orphan who ends up on her own when her grandfather's house is being renovated.

She ends up running into a man who is a part of the Soma family, Shigure, and things unfold from there. Basically? The Soma family is cursed and the head of the family is a total jerk. But Tohru is a sweet soul, although a bit of a dunce, that no one can help falling in love with.

10. Rosario Vampire

I'm really not sure where to start with this beautiful anime. It is absolutely hilarious and has a whole mix of different kinds of monsters that maybe you didn't even realize existed. It centers around a boy, a normal human boy, who somehow winds up being accepted into the monster-only school.

Is Fate really that cruel? Well, yes.

In the end, there are about five or six different female monsters that fall in love with the boy and he ends up falling in love with the vampire who can't control her urge to bite him. It's so funny the way the girls react to and fight over him. But what's even more interesting is the ending.

11. Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?

Oh. My. Lord. This anime will have you rolling. For most people in this anime world, they go into the Dungeon to search for treasures. However, for Bell Cranel, he's much more interested in girls. In a funny turn of events, he ends up needing to be rescued when he's in the Dungeon, becoming the damsel in distress instead of being the hero that saves one. I don't want to say too much more on the anime, just know that it's hilarious and worth watching.

12. Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma

Do you like food? I do, and this anime will have your tummy rumbling for some of the dishes that are made. Other dishes? Not so much. But this story centers around Yukihira, a middle schooler determined to surpass his father's cooking skills.

Randomly, Yukihira's father decides to shut down his restaurant to go to Europe and enrolls Yuki in an elite culinary school that's extremely hard to get into, and extremely hard to graduate from. This is an amazing anime that is definitely worth watching - even with some of the disgusting dishes that show up.

13. Erased

This is probably one of the most heartbreaking animes I have watched. Satoru experienced something immensely harrowing when he was a boy, but forgets about it mostly when he grows up. However, the world is determined that it wasn't supposed to happen. He's forced to go back dozens of times to try to help make sure that this bad happening, never actually happens. He has to find the cause of the life-threatening moment a girl loses her life.

14. One Piece

I think you should watch this anime simply because the name of the main character is Monkey D. Luffy. Who doesn't love a different main character name? Anyways, this anime is centered on Luffy, a boy who refuses to let anyone stand in his way of becoming the king of pirates. Yes, pirates. This is one of those action packed stories that also has quite a bit of gore to go along with it. Oh, and the best thing about Luffy? He could be Mr. Elastic!

15. Wolf Girl and Black Prince

So this is a really cute anime. It's centered around a girl, Erika, who boasts to her friends about a super hot boyfriend - but she's never had a boyfriend before in her life. So, what does she do? Takes a picture of a hot boy in town and poses him as her boyfriend. However, said boy is in their grade.

Awkward? Oh, yes.

But it gets even better when the boy Sata Kyouya, agrees to act as her boyfriend. Time to find out that he's kind of a jerk even though he has a pretty face. I suggest watching it because it really is a good anime and besides the moments you want to kick Kyouya to the curb, it's amazing and a little romantic sometimes.

This list isn't in any sort of order. It's random, just filled with all the animes I've come to love. I hope that some of these are something you may like to look into and watch as well. Some may seem weird, and some are very weird, but I can still promise that they're very worth watching.