17 Truths You Understand If You Were A PTAFer

Retreats Galore

30
Pallottine Teenage Federation

PTAF stands for the Pallottine Teenage Federation and is a youth group retreat organization located in New York. Its members are involved with retreats, council meetings, and community service. I was personally a member back in high school, and look back on my memories today quite fondly, as PTAF is far more than just an organization; it's a family. This article is for all the PTAF homies (miss y'all <3) to also look back with fond memories. Enjoy!!

1. The Honors Haven Resort and Spa in Ellenville, NY is one of your favorite places in the world

They have a pool? And basketball and tennis and volleyball? AND ALL YOUR FAVORITE PEOPLE TOGETHER IN ONE HOTEL FOR A WHOLE WEEKEND?

2. Adoration is a bit tough though

You could only sit there so long without getting antsy.

3. You’re only a real homie if you were around for Cotillion

Awkward teen youth group dance with plenty of room for Jesus? No wonder they got rid of it...

4. As great as the resort is, the Pallotti Center is home

The resort is a special trip, but the center is your second home.

5. Spoons, mafia, and Apples to Apples are the best ways to spend free time

The name “mafia” is a bit questionable.

6. Staying up till 3 a.m. with your friends and falling asleep during session the next day is what makes retreats truly memorable

Half of that time spent staying up was used to plan unsuccessful pranks. Don't worry, teens, you'll get it right one day.

7. Listening to talks from your peers and advisors can be the most inspiring, unforgettable moments

You never realized how insightful the people around you truly are, no matter their age or their background.

Even if you’re half asleep. Rough night, nothing personal.

8. You’ve never been so close with this many priests and nuns

They’re just as much fun as the teens. Have you met Sister Michelle?? Father Hugh Grace??

9. You always secretly enjoyed sizzling like bacon

Leaning back in your chair three times kinda made you a celebrity for the weekend.

10. You always loved the breakfast casserole until you kitchen crew and learned how much butter is used to make it

But if we're being completely honest, you still eat it. That stuff's good, man. Jesus approves.

11. PTAF Day is the chance to get you outdoor fun on

But that slip-n-slide was really only fun the first couple of times.

12. You know your involvement doesn’t have to end when a retreat does

There’s always another retreat or council meeting ready-to-go in your calendar.

13. As a PTAF youngin, you dreamt of leading an IMPACT and/or getting on the council board

The upperclassmen who are so involved that they spend just as much time at the center as they do at home are living the dream.

14. You definitely spoiled the CLI secrets for at least one person

WHAT? I had no idea I wasn’t supposed to tell my little brother about the week. Who knew he’d join PTAF too?

15. FACT basically means you’ve made it

Now that you can give talks, you’re kind of a religion expert.

16. Being a council member is honestly the coolest and most rewarding feeling

And a bonus moment is realizing it's a serious resume builder when really you were only in it for your genuine love for PTAF and the people involved (and being a part of a dream team).

17. You may graduate high school and leave the program, but you never forget your PTAF family and the time spent together

Live, love, mafia and breakfast casseroles.