14 Tips On How To Survive NaNoWriMo

14 Tips On How To Survive NaNoWriMo

November may be the month that all writers cease to exist.

158
14 Tips On How To Survive NaNoWriMo
The Glitter Notebook

November is fast approaching, which means several things: we can finally stop shaving all the time, the holidays are just around the corner, and, of course, NaNoWriMo - National Novel Writing Month. The challenge is to write 50,000 words in 30 days without spontaneous combustion. So, before November, I thought I would sit down and give a few tips for the 30 days of hell all of the participants are about to endure.

1. Start early.

If November is NaNoWriMo, then October is NaNoPlaMo (National Novel Planning Month). Take October, pick an idea, and commit to it.

2. Outline.

Part of planning is outlining. Get your ideas on paper, know your characters, and figure out where your novel is going. You'll thank yourself later, trust me.

3. Ignore quality.

If you decide your male lead would be better off as a woman 3,000 words in, just change it. No need to go back and fix it. That's what editing is for. Yes, your manuscript will be a mess, but that's okay.

4. Do the math.

To reach 50,000 words, you'll have to write 1,667 words every day of November. Some days you will write more than that, some days less. Set word count goals, and work hard to meet them.

5. Look ahead.

Never finish one writing session without an idea of how to begin the next. Write a sentence or two to start off your next session before you close the document. You'll save yourself a lot of agony.

6. Make time.

Schedule writing into your planner the same way you would schedule work or a class. It's rigid and unmovable. If you're going to write a novel in 30 days, your social life might suffer. That's just the way it has to be.

7. Join a network.

The official NaNoWriMo website features a forum where you can communicate with other participants, but it's always good to find a friend do take on the challenge with you. You can hold each other accountable and celebrate as you both reach your goals.

8. Work ahead.

1,667 words is such an arbitrary number. Work ahead whenever possible. Things will come up, and there may be days where you write less than intended, or not at all. Give yourself some cushion to fall back on.

9. Do your research.

Take October to research your world and the topics you're writing about so as not to waste time with it while you're actually writing. Knowing your novel inside and out before you start writing it will save you so much time and agony down the road.

10. Keep writing.

Even if you have no ideas, write something down. Your grocery list, names for your future kids, ideas for quirky things you could be tweeting. Anything to keep your momentum going and get you unstuck.

11. Start with an exercise.

Before you open up your manuscript, spend a few minutes doing a simple writing exercise to get the juices flowing, similar to stretching before a workout. You wouldn't go into a marathon without a few warm-ups, would you?

12. Stay motivated.

No matter what, don't lose motivation. Skipping a day will get you behind, which will decrease your motivation even more. Don't get caught in that cycle. Just write.

13. Quantity over quality.

NaNoWriMo is about writing 50,000 words in a month, not the next Great American Novel. I like to think of it as the "half draft". It's not quite a coherent first draft, but it's enough to get you on track to finishing a masterpiece.

14. Know that the end is just a beginning

Finishing 50,000 words isn't the end of a challenge; it's the beginning of a long process. Because if November is NaNoWriMo, December is NaNoReMo (National Novel Revising Month).

Don't forget to follow me on Twitter for live updates as I struggle my way through NaNoWriMo myself. Good luck next month to all participants!