14 Things My 'Grey's Anatomy' Addiction Made Me Terrified Of

It's terrifying, but I can't stop watching.

198
ABC

Extreme spoiler alerts to follow! I always told myself that I would never get into "Grey's Anatomy" because of all the hype; I assumed it could never live up to the expectations. Then, finally, I gave it a chance and suddenly danger was everywhere!

I love this show, but there are innumerable flukes that I never thought of. The following are 15 things I never knew I should be so afraid of until I watched "Grey's Anatomy."

1. Getting Married

There are many lessons to be learned from the wisdom that is Christina Yang, but one that I did not expect to learn was the danger of marriage. Like Christina or Matthew, what you expect to be the happiest day of your life could turn into the most heartbreaking and embarrassing one instead.

Or maybe your wife could end up having an affair with your best friend or coworker? Or maybe you rush into it and realize you want entirely different things? Or maybe, like most people on this show, they die. So much room for error here!

2. Hospitals

I don't spend a lot of time in hospitals, so I can not attest to the normalcy or unlikelihood of the tragedies that seem to go on at Grey Sloan Memorial, but if other hospitals have nearly as much potential for drama that is no place I want to be.

I would rather not go in for stomach pains and possibly explode because the moron in the room next to me got a little too into his war reenactments, or get shot in the crossfires of a disgruntled family member trying to even the score for his deceased loved one.

3. Airplanes

"Flight" was the only episode I had ever seen before fully diving into the series. I always thought it was strange and called it "when 'Grey's Anatomy' meets 'Lost.'"

It was so long ago that I didn't remember any of the characters involved, so when I rewatched it last month there were so many emotions. Of course, "Grey's Anatomy" did not teach me about the dangers of airplanes but adding it to the list of things that are a normal part of everyday life that this show has basically ruined for me.

4. Hiccups

One minute you're fine, the next minute you're dead. This could also be said for rashes, bumps, bruises, headaches, chest and stomach pains, and many other minor uncomfortable occurrences that should not lead to death but apparently can.

5. Strangers

This show makes the world seem like a really small place the way they just happen to run into people coincidentally. Who would have thought you could just happen to end up working for the love of your mother's life who drove her to try to kill herself? Or that your new intern is your half sister from your father's successful marriage? Or that the new head of cardiothoracic's is your other half-sister from your mother's adultery?

In a web of deceit and lies, the stranger handing you your coffee from Starbucks could be anyone from your uncle twice removed to your long lost twin. Who knows?

6. Pregnancy

How could something so magical as creating life also be so damn terrifying? Being pregnant leaves you fragile and vulnerable, especially if you have a condition you didn't know about before.

Or your baby could be born with some heartbreaking disease or condition, like April. Or you could get into an accident that compromises your baby, like Callie. Or you could have an extremely complicated and painful birth, like April again. Or you could have a miscarriage, like Merrideth. Or it could be a complete accident that you want nothing to do with, like Christina. Again, so much room for error...

7. Deeming someone "your person"

People come and go whether it is by choice or not. The only predictable thing about people is that they are consistently inconsistent. You never know where someone's job, family, or life will take them and claiming half of your heart, then leaving is downright disastrous. Especially if they die since that seems to be a common theme of this show.

8. Doctors

For the most part, we live our lives trusting that people know how to do their jobs. When we go out to eat, we assume the cook knows how to prepare the food. When we get on the bus, we assume the driver knows how to operate the machine. When we go to the doctor, we assume they know how to treat us.

But if you walk into Grey Sloan Memorial, that may not be the case. Doctors are off having sex in on-call rooms, missing rounds, having all kinds of inappropriate workplace drama, family arguments, etc.

Who is to say that in real life, your doctor is struggling with some sort of personal dilemma that could affect your care? Like maybe the patient they fell in love with who then died is haunting them in what is really a brain tumor hallucination in the middle of your surgery?

9. Workplace relationships

When you are a workaholic, it makes sense that your dating pool is composed of the people you work with, but in most settings, this is not an appropriate practice. Grey Sloan Memorial is an HR nightmare. Not only are there interoffice relationships, but there are relationships between supervisors and subordinates.

On top of the risky relationship dynamics, this show is a prime example of how complicated and awkward dating in the workplace can be. Remember the episode where they are all saying who they dated and they've basically all been with each other through a common date or lay? Ew.

10. Mother-in-laws

If my future mother in law is anything like those in the show, I am in trouble. If my new mom ever tried to "take my eyebrows" like what happened to Christina, she would be uninvited from my wedding.

Or you could have a mother in like like Catherine Avery, who wants to take your child instead. That also, would not fly. Or maybe it could be the extreme opposite and your mother in law is as sweet as pie like George's mother; then you have to worry about disappointing someone that kind who makes you a part of the family. All around stressful.

11. Alzeihmers

This one hit home a little more closely for me since my grandpa's parents both had it. We worry about him also getting it, so some of the scenes with Ellis Grey and Mrs. Webber are hard to watch and scare me for what the disease could look like in my own family.

12. Being ordinary

No one in my life pushes me the way Ellis Grey pushed Merrideth, but I definitely do that for myself. I want to be someone who does extraordinary things for this world. Not for my own benefit or fame, but to bring meaning to my time on this planet. Being ordinary is terrifying and seeing how hard all of the characters work to lead extraordinary lives is a scary thought.

13. Divorce

While this show portrays marriage as a terrifying option, almost all of them ending in divorce is pretty scary too. Every time someone got married I thought, "Wow they are meant to be together," and then boom, divorced.

14. Death

This one is obvious. People die every episode for crazy, stupid, heartbreaking reasons.