14 Job Search Tips You Won't Learn In School

An education isn't limited to a classroom.

4
news.psu.edu

“It’s something unpredictable / But in the end it’s right / I hope you had the time of your life”—Billie Joe Armstrong

It’s that time of year again. The leaves are changing color, the weather’s getting cooler, and for those of us graduating from college in December, we’re in the last leg of our college career. And that means looking for our first big kid job, which means going to job fairs.

I went to the WESTPacs Job Fair at Monroeville Convention Center for the first time on October 12. I’d been to smaller career fairs before, but never one this big or prestigious. And for anyone who’s graduating college or looking to jump start their career, it’s definitely worth going. I know I learned a lot from it. So, in honor of my fellow college seniors, or for people who want to launch their careers, here are some tips for how to succeed at a job fair.

• Do your research.
  • Bring a portfolio if you have one.
  • Wear business attire.
  • Bring copies of your resume (preferably printed on cardstock paper).
  • Follow up with the companies you met with!
  • Ask for business cards.
  • Don’t be afraid to ask questions.
  • Think of articulate, thoughtful answers to common interview questions.
  • Wear comfortable shoes.
  • Bring a pen and something to take notes with.
  • Get there early or on time.
  • Don’t just follow your friends, strike out on your own.
  • Don’t ask cliché questions like “Tell me about your company” or “What are you hiring?”
  • Be yourself!