14 Friends And Strangers Share Their Best Valentine's Day Stories

239

Valentine’s Day can be rough when you’re single AF. The time right after New Years leads up to it with stunning photographs of sparkling jewelry, decadent chocolates, luxurious getaways, and romantic couples. But don’t get yourself down too much. To remind you of all of the love there is in this world, I asked some friends and strangers what their best Valentine’s Day was. And surprisingly, most of them weren’t about their significant other, but about quality time with friends or family. Here are 14 sweet moments.

“Best memory is going out on a triple date with two other couples to Red Robin because we made no reservations and had nowhere else to go. We laughed and had an awesome time. It was so much better than "romantic expectations." We spent the night with our best friends and significant others. It was the true meaning of love!” -Katie T.

“One year, I hung out with a close friend's little sister (who I didn't know too well, but was single too!). We got a heart-shaped pizza, and watched chick flicks in our pajamas.” “Pal-entines Day. Last year I had a slumber party with my besties in Boston and we got snowed in. Made yummy food, had wine, and ate chocolate.” -Matthew S.

“One year I wrote Valentines to the people I loved in my life: family, friends, etc. I also prayed and meditated on the work of St. Valentine, for anyone religious. All that said, I have also just come to accept that some people (me included) might just honestly feel bummed because being in a committed relationship is something they value or one had ended. I think it's good to try not to wallow, but that sometimes it's OK to sit in our own melancholy” -Christina T.

“A couple of times, I've made Valentine's Day goodie bags filled with candy and paper hearts and then handed them out to friends, co-workers, and strangers. People were delighted!” -Valerie C.

“Proposed to Kim on top of Mammoth Mountain.” -Josh S.

“Best memory... with my kids when they were in middle school. We had a nice romantic dinner... just the four of us. Best ever!” -Sharon E.

“My favorite memory is actually about my first boyfriend when I was in junior high. He got me the obligatory chocolates and flowers, but the card is what I remember. He made me an amazing pop-up card. I remember my friends saying how they couldn't believe he made it, and his friends making fun of him for putting so much effort into it. Yup. Cheesy and hokey and super syrupy sweet.” -Min P.

“Mikey proposed to me on Valentine's Day, 2000. When I was young, I would have gone for Dawn’s second suggestion. This year I probably won't even remember what day it is until I look at Facebook that night.” -Renee F.

“Stoned, drunk, puppy cuddles, and Netflix... best night of my life.” -Maggy T.

“My most favorite Valentine's Days were the ones when I was single -- it was when I realized that it was a day to love others and there was a lot of love to celebrate -- one year all of my single friends (boys and girls) ate out at a nice-ass restaurant -- got drunk -- went to the club and even got a hotel all together. It was mad fun and some crazy things happened, like my friend waking up in a closet and my other friend winning a snow board.” -Bien-Elize R.

“One year I hosted a garlic-themed dinner for a group of singles! It was fun and hilarious and we didn't have to worry about garlic breath 'cause we had no one to kiss!” -Jane K.

“A group of single girlfriends and I all went out to a fancy Italian dinner in Berkeley together. I bought each one a red rose. We ate, drank wine, had chocolates, and laughed and laughed.” -Dena M.

“My sister invited us over to her place for a Galentine’s evening and cooked us dinner for the first time. It was my mom, aunt ,and sister. And the memory is even more special now since my aunt just passed away.” -Amie H.