14 Of The Best Books About Mental Illness

Looking for a good mental illness read? Check these out!

3533

After reading a myriad of books revolving around mental illnesses, I decided to compile a list of some of my favorites. I know that personally, reading books about experiences similar to my own helped me to come to terms with what my illness is like and realize in a broader way that I am not alone. I recognize that there are so many amazing memoirs and other books out there that have helped so many people, but these are just a few of my favorites. If you happen to know of any others, feel free to comment them!

1. All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven

All The Bright Places

I actually really enjoyed reading this book due to its realistic portrayal of depression, which is something that is so rarely found in literature today. With some powerful quotes and an even more powerful ending, this book packs a punch and I'm so thrilled for the movie that's coming out soon!

2. Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Thirteen Reasons Why

This book presents a fuller picture of suicide and its ramifications and causes. The factors that led Hannah to commit suicide in this book (which isn't a spoiler, I swear!) were numerous and can help people to understand why people would commit suicide. It also helps us to treat other people the way we want to be treated.

3. Made You Up by Francesca Zappia

Made You Up

Most of the books in existence and on this list are about depression, anxiety, or some combination of the two, but this book is a pretty great portrayal of schizophrenia and its effects.

4. My Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine Warga

Paper Trail Diary

This book also has a lot of great lines and shows a hidden part of mental illness, the community it brings, along with the hope that can follow.

5. Suicide Notes by Michael Thomas Ford

This book takes a humorous approach to dealing with depression, mental illness, and the subsequent treatment that can occur.

6. I Never Promised You a Rose Garden by Hannah Green

This book, reviewed highly throughout time, shows a really accurate and honest portrayal of paranoid schizophrenia.

7. Every Last Word by Tamara Ireland Stone

This book presents a great description of what it's like to have obsessive-compulsive disorder and the ways in which art can influence recovery.

8. An Unquiet Mind by Kay Redfield Jamison

This book is one of the more classic portrayals of mental illness and has helped many to understand the realities of these devastating diseases. In addition, it shows a more well-rounded view of manic depression.

9. It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini

This book explores the reality of the people living in mental hospitals, including perspectives on the mentally ill man who can't find housing and the guy who can't tell anyone about his suicide attempt, lest everyone think he's crazy.

10. Zoe: Letting Go by Nora Price

Admittedly I picked this up at a dollar store, but it had a really great portrayal of trauma, loss, and eating disorders. The main character was likable and there were so many great twists.

11. Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson

This book shows the devastating impact of anorexia and the impact it can have on friendships. It's very enjoyable and very haunting.

12. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephan Chbosky

This classic coming-of-age novel tackles issues of anxiety and depression, and provides an honest approach to what teen life is like.

13. Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen

This book shows what life is like in a mental hospital, and it was made into a movie that was highly critically acclaimed.

14. Darkness Visible by William Styron

This memoir provides an honest portrayal of what it's like to have depression and the tough road to recovery.

Note: As an Amazon Associate, Odyssey may earn a portion of qualifying sales.