13 Ways To Indulge In Ice Cream Around The World

You call that ice cream?

455
13  Ways To Indulge In Ice Cream Around The World
www.eater.com

One of the most beautiful aspects of travel is that it allows us to explore not only a destination, but also the food. No matter where you travel in the world, you'll find that no place does things quite like you're used to, not even ice cream. So if you're feeling adventurous and up for trying something new, then check out these 13 different ways ice cream is made around the world.

1. Japan: Mochi

Although I've never been to Japan, not yet, at least, I've had the opportunity to try mochi for myself. When I first took a bite into mochi, it definitely didn't taste like the ice cream I'm used to. If you've never tried mochi, it's a small, powdered treat packed with flavor. While mochi comes in a variety of flavors, I recommend the mango for a more refreshing tasting experience. Although mochi will give your tastebuds a spin, one downside to the ice cream is that the powder tends to get everywhere; I quickly found this to be an issue after my pants were coated in powder before the first bite. Mochi gets it's unusual texture and taste from its main ingredient: mochigome, which is a type of rice cake made from a short-grain japonica, glutinous rice. Before these colorful mounds of deliciousness are ready to eat, the rice is pounded into a paste and molded into a desired shape. Traditionally, mochi is made in a ceremony called mochitsuki.

2. Italy: Gelato

Gelato, which is the Italian word for ice cream, is probably one of the most recognizable types of ice cream on this list. Made with a base of milk, cream, sugar, and flavored with fruit and nut purees, gelato is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth.

After returning from Italy, it was hard to find ice cream that topped gelato. I consider myself an ice cream connoisseur, and no one makes ice cream quite like the Italians. And did I mention that there are dozens of flavors to choose from? While in Italy, I often found that the hardest decision of my day was deciding on what flavor of gelato to order.

3. Israel: Halva

Halva is commonly found throughout the Middle East. The ice cream hails from the city of Tel Aviv, and is an extremely popular desert in Israel. Halva is a confection made of sesame flour and honey, and is usually topped with pistachios and Silan, which is a date honey syrup.

4. France: Foie Gras

Foie Gras, which is the French term for "fatty liver," is considered a luxury food item and is made from the liver of a specially fattened goose or duck. To produce foie gras, it requires farmers to ram pipes down the throats of male ducks twice a day. Sound appetizing? I think not. Once the pipe is inserted down the duck's throat, around 2.2 pounds of grain and fat is pumped into its stomach. This process is known as "gavage," which causes the birds' livers to swell up to 10 times their normal size. Ducks are typically squeezed into small wire cages, which not only causes them to vomit, but also bleed from the nostrils.

Well, if that didn't make you want to try foie gras, then I don't know what will. The ice cream incorporates slow-baked foie gras, along with Sauternes, wine, sugar, egg yolks, butter, and cream. I guess if you can look past the unethical treatment of geese and ducks, you can enjoy this surprisingly rich and satisfying treat.

5. Iran: Bastani sonnati

A Persian ice cream, typically found in India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Iran, bastani is derived from milk and dairy that is heated before other ingredients are added in. Rosewater, saffron, and pistachios are just a few of the key ingredients that help give bastani its exotic taste. Bastani is commonly topped with pistachio nuts and served with two crispy waffles to resemble an ice cream sandwich. While it may be difficult to come across bastani at your local grocery store or market, the most authentic bastani must be made with genuine saffron.

6. Turkey: Dondurma

You are likely to find Dondurma in both Turkey and Azerbaijan. Typically, this ice cream is made with milk, sugar, salep, and mastic. This sweet treat is believed to have originated from the city and region of Maras, which is why it's also referred to as Maras ice.

7. Philippines: Cheese ice cream

If you were to tell me that ice cream and cheese go together, then I would've thought you were from Mars. This unlikely combination of dairy products is considered delicious in the Philippines. Cheese ice cream consists of blending cream cheese, milk, lemon juice, sugar, and salt. When the ingredients are blended and smooth, they are then transferred to a bowl to be stirred in cream. Once the cream is stirred, the cream cheese blend can be combined with ice in an ice cream maker.

8. Germany: Spaghettieis

Spaghetti in Germany? I thought the Italians did that. Well, think again, because it turns out the Germans can make a mean dish of pasta, just not for dinner. This German take on ice cream consists of vanilla ice cream, which is modified into a spaghetti noodle with the help of a Spätzle press or potato ricer. Once the noodles take shape, a spaghettieis dish is topped with a strawberry sauce and coconut flakes to pull off the full spaghetti look.

9. United States/Canada: Akutaq

A type of ice cream many Americans, and even Canadians, may not be familiar with is Akutaq, which is a food that originates in Western Alaska and Northern Canada. The desert is also considered a Yup'ik, which means something mixed. Eskimo ice cream, Indian ice cream, Native ice cream, or Alaskan ice cream are all alternative names for the dessert. Eskimo ice cream is a version of ice cream created by the native people of Alaska. Unlike typical ice cream, Akutaq is not creamy and is made from reindeer fat, seal oil, freshly fallen snow, fresh berries, and sometimes ground fish. To create its foamy appearance, air is whipped in by hand so that the ingredients slowly cool. Traditionally, women made Eskimo ice cream after the first catch of a polar bear or seal, where it would later be served to the community during a special ceremony.

10. India: Kulfi

Similar to ice cream in appearance and taste, Kulfi differs from traditional ice cream as it's denser and creamier. Kulfi comes in a variety of flavors, but the most common are malai, rose, mango, cardamom, elaichi, saffron, and pistachio. Because it's not whipped, like Western ice creams, Kulfi takes on a more solid form. This frozen desert tends to resemble traditional custard-based ice cream.

11. Thailand: I Tim Pad

One of the more unique ice creams on this list is I Tim Pad, which is a made-to-order ice cream that's quick-frozen, not churned, on a frozen metal disc. It just a matter of minutes, the liquid base freezes into a think pancake of solid ice cream. The process tends to be more interesting than the ice cream itself. Once the ice cream is made, a stall owner will scape the ice cream off the metal plate with a paint-scraper. By doing so, it creates perfect hollow cylinders of ice cream that are then stacked vertically in a cup. Once the ice cream is in a cup, you can add whipped cream and chocolate sauce. There is also an option to add toppings or mix-ins, with the most popular being Oreos. Unlike customary ice cream, I Tim Pad makes for the perfect finger food.

12. Korea: Patbingsu

Patbingsu doesn't look like traditional to ice cream in the slightest. This Korean desert is made of shaved ice and served with sweet toppings to give it that extra kick. Some of the topping include: chopped fruit, condensed milk, fruit syrup, and Azuki beans. Patbingsu is a popular indulgence throughout Korea and the desert originally began as ice shavings with red bean paste.

13. Freakshakes: Australia

Yeah, I'll have one of each. Freakshakes, which have single-handedly made all other deserts look like garbage, are just your not-so-typical milkshake. This heavenly treat was made popular by a cafe in Australia's capital, Canberra. If didn't already know, freakshakes are essentially milkshakes topped with cream, cake, sauce, and a handful of other sweet treats no one needs. Ah, what I wouldn't do to be sitting on one of Australia's white-sandy beaches right now with one of these beauties in my hand. If you're a calorie-counter (Ew!), then I wouldn't recommend tackling one of these monstrosities by yourself. So the next time you find yourself in the land down under, do your stomach a favor and try one of these delectable goodies, but make sure to hold back the drool, It's not attractive.