14 Things You Don't Know About Eckerd College But Need To Before Attending

Welcome to our little bubble!

1292

Eckerd College is a small, liberal arts school located in St. Petersburg, Florida. Known to many who attend as: Camp Eckerd, EC or even simply "the Eckerd bubble." Every year, tons of high school seniors flock to campus to 'Explore Eckerd,' where they take a guided tour around campus and even get to sit in a class. In May, I will be wrapping up my four years here at Eckerd, so I put together a small, but simple list of a few things that I think prospective students looking into Eckerd would like to know.

1. Sundays are for Kappa Field

The library isn't the only place to go and do homework. Sometimes when the weather is perfect and you'd rather not be crammed in your room all day doing homework, Kappa field is there waiting. It's as if all of Eckerd is there either doing homework, letting their dogs play, tanning or just hanging out with friends.

2. No shoes? No problem.

Okay, well you need shoes to go to the cafe, the pub, and labs if you have them– but otherwise, you're more than free to walk around campus barefoot. And hey, who needs shoes anyway when you've got the beach right there on campus?

3. You'll know almost everyone by the time you graduate.

Eckerd is a pretty small campus, it's basically like a big summer camp. You'll have some classes with the same 15 people, but it's also super common to see new faces in the crowd everyday– even though the campus is small.

4. South Beach Sunsets are a MUST.

You'll always see everyone flock towards south beach when the sun begins to set because honestly, Eckerd has some of the most amazing sunsets. Because let's be honest, nothing beats watching the sun sink below the horizon while sitting on the beach.

5. Waffle day is the best day

When the cafe decides to break out their waffle makers, you know it's go time. If you want a prime waffle, you've gotta get there quick. Waffles are no joke, so get there early.

6. Invest in a kiddie pool

No, this isn't a joke. At the end of the spring semester there's a huge party on Kappa Field called, BYOP– Bring Your Own Pool and well...just go ahead and buy a kiddie pool.

7. Go to all activities and events

I'm talking pub activities, campus activities events– anything and everything that is going on around campus, you need to go too. Chances are you'll meet some pretty cool people there, you'll get free things and you'll make some pretty great memories.

8. Be social during Autumn Term

Autumn Term is a short term during the entire month of August, in which freshmen arrive on campus and get accustomed before the upperclassmen arrive. This is the perfect time for you to make friends with other freshmen and even the mentors on campus. Most of the time, the friendships that you make during Autumn Term are the friendships that stay with you throughout your four years at Eckerd.

9. It's not like high school

Every soon-to-be college freshman has that fear that college will be just like high school. That there will be cliques like 'jocks,' 'nerds' and 'druggies'– but that's not the case here. Everybody, no matter their interests, gender, or major, gets along.

10. Invest in a longboard or bike

Yeah, there are yellow bikes here on campus. But it's best to not rely on the yellow bike you took to class, to still be waiting for you when you get out.

11. Don't eat the pub twice in a day

The fries are addicting and I know its easier to just go to the pub when you think the cafe is busy– but you can only eat a chicken pita or chicken tenders so many times a day.

12. Your professors care...a lot.

All of the professors here care about each and every student. I've only taken one class with a professor and when I saw her just last week, she talked to me about graduation, how my classes were going, my post grad plans and asked me to keep in contact with her because she'd love to hear how I'm doing post grad. The professors here are some of the most caring individuals I've ever come across, and it's amazing.

13. "Think Outside" is more than just a motto

Everybody takes this motto into different translations. Some see it as you can literally think outside since our campus is an outdoor campus. Or you take it as thinking outside the norms. Whichever way you take it, the motto carries more meaning.

14. It actually does change lives

Ask anyone on campus if Eckerd College has changed their life and I can guarantee you that most, if not all, will say absolutely. I know it's changed mine.