13 Things I Wish I Knew When I Was 13

13 Things I Wish I Knew When I Was 13

It gets better.

1168
13 Things I Wish I Knew When I Was 13
The Motion Pictures

It seemed like only a few months ago when I was 13 years old, with my entire high school career ahead of me, with college not occupying a passing thought in my mind. In reality, however, that was six years ago. Over the past six years, I never recognized myself growing as an individual in my day-to-day life. Reflecting on this time and personal growth allowed me to identify 13 things I currently know that I wish I would've known at 13.

1. Your parents are usually right.

My parents always seemed to point out the bad friends or boyfriends before I recognized the flaws in them. They always gave the right advice when I needed it, even if I never admitted that to them at the time. Be cautious when they advise it. Wear a jacket if it's too cold outside. Stay home if it's too dangerous to drive. They have been alive much longer than you have. They know what is best for you.

2. It's okay if your mom is your best friend.

Since starting college, I realized how much I called my mom just to talk about different things occurring in my life, not because I thought she should know as my mother, but because I wanted her to know as my friend. Whether I was struggling with friends, roommates, classes, or boys, it was comforting knowing she was only a phone call away.

3. Spend time with your grandparents.

This past winter, I lost the last of my four grandparents. Looking back, I wished I would've appreciated the time I had with them growing up instead of being more concerned about my phone or the plans I was missing to go and visit them instead. I wish I would've asked them more questions about their lives, learned as much as possible from them, and hugged them every last chance possible.

4. One slice of pizza will not ruin your diet plan.

As a teenage girl, it is common to be insecure about many things, including your weight. But one slice of pizza, one sundae, or one serving of Mac and Cheese will not cause you to gain a significant amount of weight. Exercise and eat well to be healthy, but acknowledge it is acceptable to indulge sometimes.

5. Do not feel bad for cutting toxic people from your life.

You should not feel bad for removing someone out of your life who does not belong there anymore. If they are bringing you down, you should not feel bad telling them goodbye. Leave them if they are making you feel like you are hard to love.

6. Sometimes, the people you have only known for four months will be better friends to you than the people you have known for four years.

The way people treat you is more important than the amount of time you have known them. If a new friend is treating you better than someone you have known for years, it is okay to prioritize the new friend over the old. Do whatever makes you happy.

7. Girls nights are the best nights.

You go to college to find your bridesmaids, not your groom. You do not need a boy to have fun. Have fun with the girls as much as you can. Those will be the memories you will look back on the most.

8. That boy will not matter to you a year from now.

That boy broke your heart, and I know it feels like the world is ending now, but trust me, he's not going to matter to you a year from now. Eat your ice cream and watch your sad Nicholas Sparks movies. Cry your eyes out into your mom's shoulder, but then, you need to pull yourself together. Keep your head up.

9. You were beautiful before he loved you and you will continue to be after he's gone.

Absolutely under no circumstances should you put all of your happiness into a boy. Love yourself as much as you desire to be loved by another. Do not assume once he left, he took all of the best parts of you with him.

10. It's okay to ask for help.

Do not be ashamed to ask for help. Whether you have a flat tire, are struggling in chemistry, or have a mental health issue, do not be embarrassed to ask for help. There are many people around you who are willing to assist you in whatever way possible. It does not signify weakness; it shows strength.

11. Take a break.

It is okay to admit you are not completely healed. If you need the time after a breakup or a traumatic event before continuing with your normal routine, take it. Take care of yourself first.

12. Learn how to be independent.

When you go to college, you're going to need to be entirely self-sufficient. You do not want to be that girl who does not know how to work the laundry machine the first time she has to wash her clothes. Learn how to cook your favorite home-made meal. Organize. Set a budget. Know how to keep your space tidy and clean.

13. You have the world at your fingertips.

This is the age where you can do absolutely anything you desire. Become a doctor, a writer, an architect. Travel. Sing your heart out. Take chances. Dream big. You have your entire life ahead of you. Do not try to act like an adult when you're still a kid. Enjoy these moments; they will go by faster than you think.