13 Things Fair Skinned People Want You To Know

Being fair is a responsibility to love and take care of your skin.

1063
www.huffingtonpost.com

As fair skinned people, we always catch a lot of hate from those who are tanner than us. Going to the beach becomes an ordeal, a walk in the park requires SPF 15 and a hat, and sitting outside getting lunch means finding the shadiest part of the restaurant. While we love and appreciate our skin, we also understand the big responsibility that comes with is. Because we are more susceptible to sunburn, skin irritations, and skin cancer, we understand how important it is to take care of the skin we are in. While we love and appreciate our skin, here are thirteen things we want you to understand about having fair skin:

1. Getting a tan is an option

While getting tan isn’t an easy task, it is possible for us. However, it is important to recognize that our ‘tan’ is not your ‘tan’. While our skin can darken due to sun exposure, it will never be on the same level. Either way, we are proud to see tan lines marking where our bathing suits used to be.

2. But protecting your skin is also important

While tanning is something we don’t mind doing, we have to partake in it with extreme caution. Those of us with pale skin can’t just bake in the sun for hours unprotected. It is important to take the health of your skin seriously and bring along necessary equipment like sunscreen, sunglasses, hats, and even a sun shirt. Skin cancer isn’t something we take lightly.

3. We take pride in our freckles

Our freckles are our beauty marks and they make our skin look radiant. Our freckles show that we have been in the sun in our own unique way.

4. Understanding that a burn isn’t just temporary

A sunburn isn’t something that goes away the next day like most fortunate people. We spend around a week’s worth of time applying aloe and lotion to soothe and heal a burn and prevent the inevitable peeling.

5. Making fun of us for constantly applying sunscreen isn’t going to stop us from doing it

Being pale is something that we understand won’t drastically change for us. And we realize the risk and consequences that would come with having skin cancer. So while we may match the color of the white sand on the beach, we also understand that basking in the sun, unprotected for too long comes with repercussions that aren’t worth it. And we all know that while our friends make fun of us, they are the first ones to turn to us for sunscreen when they need it.

6. Spray tans are a safe alternative to getting that glow we are looking for

While they are kind of cheesy and frowned upon, spray tans are the safest way for us to get the glow that could come with laying out in the sun. All the reward without such a risk.

7. UV tanning is something we know to stay away from

With that being said, we also know that UV tanning is extremely dangerous for anyone, but especially for those with fair skin. Staying away from UV tanning is a safe option.

8. We don’t enjoy being called ‘pale’ and ‘pasty’

As funny as it may be, these aren’t really flattering terms to describe someone with fair skin.

9. We aren’t just more likely to get sunburnt. Fair skin is also more sensitive.

Those with fair skin most likely have skin that reacts differently to a lot of different things as well like body wash, razors, soaps, and lotions. Picking the best product for our fair skin is a process that is difficult and frustrating.

10. Even sitting at an outside table at a restaurant can be stressful

If the sun is beating down on you for longer than five minutes, it is inevitable that you will get some sort of sunburn. A fair skinned person is always aware of the possibility of getting too much sun.

11. Oddly cut bathing suits will never be an option

Let’s say we do happen to get a tan or a sunburn in an oddly cut bathing suit. We will never be able to remove those lines from our bodies ever again. No amount of laying out or sun tanning will allow you to get rid of a bad sunburn.

12. Finding makeup that matches your fair skin is a nightmare

‘Fair’ isn’t fair enough and ‘ivory’ is too dark. And then finding a powder, foundation, and concealer to match? We can’t catch a break.

13. When our tan friends do finally get the sunburn of a lifetime, however, we always step in with our perfect, 100% guaranteed remedy

We can always be counted on to help heal and repair your sunburnt skin. After all, we are the experts.