13 Things Every College Kid Needs In A Dorm, But Never Thinks To Pack

Don’t get caught up in the Christmas lights and Command Strips, you’re gonna need these!

11467
Gabriel Beaudry via Unsplash

We all know there are a million college packing lists out there on the Internet and wherever else that are super helpful, especially if this is your first time moving into college and have no clue what to bring.

However, not every packing list is as thorough as you'd like it to be... and even the most complete ones almost always forget these 13 important things most people don't think about:

1. HDMI Cord

You have your laptop and your TV, so you may as well connect the two! Especially since some schools ban Chromecast and AppleTV, this is the best and safest option to have a movie night with your buds.

2. Board Games

Games come in clutch when you and your friends aren't in the mood to go out, but still need something to do. I highly recommend party games like Balderdash, Scattergories, and Cards Against Humanity, but even a simple deck of cards will do it!

3. Rain Boots

While most packing lists don't address clothes at all, this was important enough to make the list anyway. You won't think you need rain boots until you have to walk for 20 minutes in the pouring rain to class and end up with cold, wet feet. Blech.

4. Umbrella

Again, you won't realize you need this until it's pouring out and a hoodie won't cut it. Be sure to invest in a nice one, too, so it doesn't blow inside-out and break!

5. Paper Clips

I hope you thought to bring a stapler, but at some point, you'll find yourself in a situation where you'll have to keep papers together, but still want to be able to easily separate them. This is when you'll need paper clips.

6. Snacks

Yeah, there's the dining hall, but I can tell you right now that you won't want to walk down there at 11:00 at night when you're craving a big bag of chips. You also don't want to be hungry when the dining hall is closed! Don't go crazy with snacks, but buy a few of your favorites and keep them out of sight so you're not tempted all the time.

7. Markers, Colored Pencils, and Crayons

Make that art supplies in general! You never know when you're going to need a marker or some colored pencils, so be prepared. BONUS: Making art is a GREAT stress reliever!

8. Magic Eraser

They don't call it “magic" for nothing! This thing will get stains off any surface, whether it be shoes or walls. And you want to be sure to use it on your walls so your school doesn't fine you for wall damage.

9. White Printer Paper

You may have decided not to bring a printer, but it's always good to have extra paper on hand! Plus, paper snowflakes make cheap and cute Christmas decorations.

10. Painter's Tape

Or just tape in general. But painter's tape is great for hanging posters because it doesn't damage walls.

11. A Bottle Of Your Painkiller Of Choice

Most schools sell small bottles of Advil, Tylenol, Excedrin, and/or Ibuprofen, but if you're suffering from a migraine, cramps, or have sore muscles from the gym, the last thing you want to do is walk somewhere to buy said bottle. Just buy a big bottle and keep it nearby in case.

12. Tide To-Go Stick

This is pretty self-explanatory, but if you aren't the type to keep this on your person at all times, at least keep it in your dorm in case you need to quickly remove a stain.

13. Mugs

Usually, people will tell you to avoid bringing reusable dining ware unless you have a sink in your dorm, but mugs are the exception! They can be used as so many things, including (but not limited to) bowls, drinkware (including alcohol if you need to be discreet about it), and toothbrush holders.