13 Things All College Freshmen Think All Soon-To-Be Freshmen Should Know

I was always really good about not being homesick, but after spending a month and a half away from home, I was so homesick that I would spend my nights crying.

108
Kelly Prososki

A year ago, you were on top of the world, living your best life, enjoying being at the top of the food chain and feeling not a care in the world for those around you, as you were leaving within the next month. College was just a thing that was coming, an exciting new time full of wonder and amazement. We couldn't wait to leave.

And now here we are.

Bottom of the food chain. So remarkably freshmen that anyone can pick us out from a crowd. Laynards around our necks, hope and wonder still in our slightly dead eyes. We have almost survived our first year here, so take it from us and the lessons that we've learned so that you don't make the same mistake.

1. You do not need all of the things that people say you need for your dorm

You do not need those special expensive organizers from Ikea and four different types of bedding with 30 towels and designer laundry bags. You literally need two sets of sheets, a comforter that you won't care about if it gets trashed, and some pillows. They are trying to sell you useless products and guess what? It's working.

2. Everything your high school teachers said about college is probably false

"Professors won't be this understanding in college." "You won't have this much free time in college." "Professors will try to fail you if you act like this in college." "Watch your language, professors won't stand for that in college."

No. No. No. The memes are right, professors will literally cancel classes because they don't feel like coming in and really try to work with you to the best of their ability. As long as you a respectful person, professors will have no problem working with you at all.

However, they also don't care enough to approach you if you're failing or struggling in the class, so I guess the teachers got that part right.

3. Your life will not be over if you're not involved with Greek life

If you do want to participate in Greek life, have fun, but most people like me don't feel comfortable dishing out all that money just to be part of an organization. I only have one friend that's involved in Greek life and I hardly see her because of it.

I have made it to the end of my first year and never once have I thought to myself "man, I'm really not experiencing anything because I'm not in a sorority." You can have just as fulfilling of an experience without it.

4. Strong notetaking skills are the only way you'll survive lectures

I was lucky enough to participate in dual-credit classes in high school, so I had already been thrown out on my ass and taught how to take good notes for lectures, but for those who haven't... oh boy, get ready. It's taken us months to figure out how to take good notes, and it'll take just as long for you.

5. Rate My Professors determines your whole schedule

The first semester, I was just thrown into my classes because an advisor had picked them all out for me. However, my second semester, I changed multiple things based on reviews from Rate My Professors. I have the best set of professors now.

It's a resource. Use it.

6. 8 a.m. lectures are the devil, but you'll enjoy getting done early with your day

My first semester, I had a 7:30 a.m. American Sign Language lecture. It was almost impossible to get out of bed for that class, even though that's when high school started and I was used to doing it for years. So... I kinda skipped this class... a lot. But I was done at noon for the day so...

7. On that note... GO TO CLASS

Missing even a few minutes of lecture means missing a lot of important information that you will be tested on in a comprehensive manner. You not only have to know the information, you have to be able to apply it to come to conclusions.

Go to class.

8. So much of your money will be spent on food

You will be stressed and so you will stress eat and when you stress eat, you will not want to eat anything healthy, it will need to be junk food and so you will go buy junk food to make yourself feel better and then before you know you, you've blown through your savings.

9. You will realize your hobbies will never be able to be your career

I love writing more than anything, but this year taught me that I cannot pursue a degree or career in writing. It's not logical for me because there's no job security, and I need job security.

10. You will be homesick, no matter what

I was always really good about not being homesick, but after spending a month and a half away from home, I was so homesick that I would spend my nights crying. FaceTime and phone calls do help, but nothing beats sleeping in your own bed with your pets curled around your feet.

11. You will miss homecooked meals more than anything

Dining hall food sucks. You will learn how to smuggle food from the dining hall on the good nights, and how to stockpile to make up for it when it is complete crap. And when you come home, you will be begging for leftovers to take with you so that you will have a few night's worth of meals for the week.

12. But coming back home is like coming back to a whole other world

Wait... I used to LIVE here? I used to be comfortable in this little town?! With so much less than my college town?! I grew up here, so why does college feel more like home than this does?

You will find a new family at school full of new experiences and people that you could have never seen yourself with before. You find a new home.

13. But... you do actually need that textbook?

Every professor will tell you that you need that textbook, but unless there is actually assigned homework or readings out of it... you don't. But again, Rate My Professors will come in handy. There's a section that tells you if you'll actually need that textbook or not. Also, ask your friends that already went through the class. They'll tell you straight.