13 Summer Activities That Won't Break The Bank

How can you have fun with no money?

44

Summer is the best, isn't it? No school, less drama, and more sleep! All of this free time is great, but let's be honest...it gets a tad boring every so often. We want to go, go, go until we check our bank accounts, yikes! So, here are 13 fun things to do this summer without breaking the bank:

1. Painting

Who doesn't like to get a little creative? Make a masterpiece this summer! Finding blank canvas is simple. Find a few colors and grab a paint brush. Even if you aren't a great artist, give it a try!

2. Visit a museum

I know what you're thinking, boring! But it doesn't have to be! Go somewhere new and think local! You might be surprised by the amount of museums right in your backyard. Also, most museums offer discounted student tickets or free admission so this is a must on your summer bucket list.

3. Walk a trail

Yes, seriously! Get some fresh air. Hikes are not only good for you, but also good for your wallet! Find a state park near you and hike away! You will be amazed by the view and may even see some cool wildlife.

4. Discounted movie

Rainy summer days suck, but movies don't! Some theaters offer discounted tickets on certain days of the week. Take advantage of these deals or even see a matinee to save some dough.

5. Start a blog

A lot on your mind this summer? Put it into words! Blogs are a fun way to meet new people and clear your head. There are hundreds of websites that offer free blogging, why not try it out?

6. Volunteer

Community service is cool, guys! There are so many ways to help out in your neighborhood whether it is at the animal shelter, nursing home or soup kitchen. Not only will this help others, but it will make you feel great!

7. Putt-Putt

Get your putt-putt on this summer! Not only is it a blast, but it is relatively cheap. Grab a few friends and a putter and let the best one win!

8. Read a book

No, no...not a school-required novel, a fun book! A book of your choice. Take a trip to the book store and find a book that looks interesting. Keep your mind sharp and it'll keep you occupied for a while. Remember to not judge a book by it's cover.

9. Find a festival

Where the food is good and admission is (usually) free. Local festivals are exciting, but look at surrounding areas too! Festivals are full of music and other fun events that you don't want to miss.

10. Go camping!

While we all want an all-inclusive trip to Bora Bora, its not always going to happen. So, make it feel like a mini vacation by going camping. Whether it is in your backyard or at a local campground, it's a cheap way to have some major fun. Don't forget the s'mores!

11. Join an intramural sport

No practices this summer? Feeling out of shape? Join a local intramural team and have some fun! This is a great way to be active and meet new people. Unless you need to grab some new gear, this activity should be cheap or free.

12. Make a Slip' N' Slide

Sick of pool days? Grab a tarp and hose...it is time to get wet! This DIY project is cheap and always exciting. Don't forget to invite the neighbors!

13. Chill with friends

No matter how you choose to spend this summer, make sure you spend it with friends. Friends are free and they provide the best memories. Remember to take pictures and laugh a lot and to enjoy the time together...it'll be fall before you know it.