13 Reasons Why I'm Thankful

13 Reasons Why I'm Thankful

Thanking beyond the cliche friends, family, and health.

97
13 Reasons Why I'm Thankful

Like many families, it's a tradition for my family to go around and say what we're thankful for at the Thanksgiving dinner table. Each year, it's usually the same cliche things, which isn't an issue, but this year I wanted to go beyond the "friends, family, and health." As this Thanksgiving approaches, I begin to reflect on everything that has happened between now and last Thanksgiving. A lot of things happened in the year between the two, which in turn means I have a lot of things to be thankful for, here are the top 13 of them.

1. I am thankful for my family.

These people are your literal day-ones. It's always nice to see everyone, especially if you haven't seen some of them in months.

2. I am thankful for my friends.

They're like a second family, just a little more or less dysfunctional depending on the group. Chances are, most of your friends are home from college for a few days so a reunion is bound to happen.

3. I am thankful for my health.

I woke up today and I'm breathing so I consider myself healthy in that aspect. I suppose now is the time to brag and say that I'm down one pants size and need about three extra holes on the belt I'm currently wearing.

4. I am thankful for my education.

It's no secret that a lot of people don't have the opportunity to attend college. With that being said, college is definitely a privilege and I'm grateful that I have the opportunity to be here.

5. I am thankful to Eastern Michigan University.

Speaking of college, I'm thankful that I get to attend the university that I've wanted to go to since my junior year of high school. It's everything I wanted it to be and more.

6. I am thankful for having a place to live.

Whether it be my dorm or my parent's house, I know every night I have somewhere where I can have food and shelter and usually end falling into a similar routine as the GIF.

7. I am thankful for the good days.

This should go without saying, but we need to appreciate our good days. Even if something minor happened, a small victory is still a victory.

8. I am thankful for the bad days.

Even though they suck, you have to learn to appreciate the bad days, too. It's sort of like a reality check that things aren't going to be sunshine and rainbows all the time.

9. I am thankful for having money in the bank.

As a self-proclaimed "broke college student", I complain about having no money all the time. However, having some money means that I'm better off than I think I am.

10. I am thankful for the year of 2017.

2017 was a definitely a year of growth and development. I did everything I said I wanted to do and even got a few surprises along the way. I bought my own car, transferred to my dream school, and even lost weight.

11. I am thankful for clean and accessible water.

This is something that we tend to take for granted. We have to remember that there are places in other countries as well as our own that do not have this privilege.

12. I am thankful for the food on the table.

This is yet another thing that can sometimes be taken for granted. While we're sitting around the table enjoying our feast, there are people who have a daily struggle to obtain food, let alone just for this holiday.

12. I am thankful for Alpha Phi Omega.

As cliche as this sounds, being in this organization has given me the courage and strength to do things I never thought I would do. I've met so many amazing people, made so many amazing memories, and have had some amazing opportunities.

13. I am thankful for Dunkin' Donuts' coffee.

Something far less serious, but still needs to be said because you have to appreciate the little things as well. Dunkin' is WAY cheaper than Starbucks and tastes WAY better. My usual order is a large iced coffee with caramel, cream, and sugar if anybody wants to surprise me.