13 Reasons Why We Needed Hannah Baker's Story

The lesson behind your binge-watching.

110
TV Guide

I have spent over 13 hours watching TV in the last two days, and I only feel comfortable admitting that because I know that you probably have too. Ever since the release of the novel turned Netflix production "13 Reasons Why," social media has blown up with everything from "Jeff Atkins didn't deserve this" to "Good morning to everyone except Courtney and Bryce."

While the public's obsession with this series has brought out the humor and passion in every avid binge-watcher, it has served dual purpose by also relaying some vitally important messages to the public. The production, which is based on a high school girl who commits suicide and her reasons for doing it, certainly focuses on core issues that affect everyone and that deserve to be talked about. So, with that being said, here are 13 reasons why everyone needed this series.

1. It reiterates the seriousness of suicide.

All throughout the 13 episodes, the subject of suicide is handled with the utmost care. While the school becomes active in suicide prevention tactics, the 12 individuals who this series focuses on showcase the severity of the issue. By showing how one girl's suicide so deeply affects the lives of so many others, the series gives its audience a look at the reality of death and all of the pain it entails, especially for young adults.

2. It shows the importance of life.

Going along with the previous point, the series offers a contrast to all of Hannah's pain by showing all of the good memories that people had of her. By showing her life through the eyes of Clay, the boy who loved her, it shows how valuable a life is even when the person living it isn't aware of that. As viewers watch her looking at the stars with Clay, sipping hot chocolates with Jessica and even trying to catch a stalker with Courtney, they can see that the happy times in a person's life are just as important as the dark times.

3. It shows how significant one's choices are.

The 13 reasons for Hannah's death are all supported by choices that the various characters made that they almost all wish they could take back. This is especially pertinent for high school students who face pressures to make bad choices every day, and it is just as true for everyone else. This series shows that the choices you make are important and can deeply affect others without you even realizing it.

4. It teaches people not to give in to peer pressure.

This recurring theme of peer pressure affects every character throughout the series. Alex creates the list to impress Bryce, Courtney ruins Hannah's reputation to avoid people judging her, Justin shows his friends the indecent photo to impress them, and the list could go on and on. Peer pressure occurs throughout the entire series, time and time again, and it is always met with regret, which shows everyone the importance of doing what's right in any situation.

5. It teaches not to judge others.

Every new tape that Clay listens to yields various emotions and actions, but he is reminded by Alex that he shouldn't be too quick to judge the people in the tapes. When Clay finally listens to his own tape, he realizes that he is just as guilty of hurting Hannah as the next person is. Each of the characters has their faults but, excluding a few, the audience can see that they all have their remorse as well. While at first we all want to judge them for their poor choices or just flat out meanness, we come to find in the end that they are good people who just got a little lost.

6. It's graphic.

I would be lying if I said that the last few episodes weren't hard for me to watch because they certainly were. I was shocked at the producers' decision to actually show both Hannah's rape and suicide, but I am glad that they did. While it was difficult content for everyone to see, it is so important to show the reality of both rape and suicide instead of allowing them to remain as a fictional idea in people's minds. Seeing the graphic truth behind those acts is a lesson to the entire world of how serious and horrible they truly are.

7. It portrays how detrimental rumors can be.

The producers did a fantastic job in creating Liberty High and making it feel just like anyone else's high school experience. Hannah is unable to escape all of the hurtful things being said about her, and she isn't the only one. Basically, every person that the series focuses on is dragged down by a label or a rumor, which is a very common theme in high schools today. Thankfully, this theme doesn't always result in suicide, but it can end with just as much pain. From this production, people can see the weight that words carry and can hopefully grasp how significant even the silliest rumors can be to a person.

8. It encourages people to say what's on their mind.

Throughout his entire relationship with Hannah, there are things that Clay wants to say but just can't seem to. In the end, he realizes that if he had told her his true feelings then she might still be around. Each of the characters have secrets and things that weigh them down, and it's clear to everyone that if these characters could just say what's on their mind then it would solve so many problems.

9. It places responsibility on the school.

As the staff of Liberty High tries to respond to the pending lawsuit against them, the faculty members look back and realize all of the warning signs that they missed. This is an important lesson for institutions everywhere to keep a closer eye on these signs and understand how important it is to act on them.

10. It teaches parents a similar lesson.

Of course, the parents of Hannah Baker were not at all to blame for what happened to her. However, the series highlights the ways in which Hannah tried to get her parents' attention and failed, teaching parents to look out for these attempts and be mindful of the possibilities that they never want to imagine for their children. This is an important lesson for parents everywhere to pay close attention to any signals their kids might send to tell them that they are lost and need help.

11. It accurately depicts the seriousness of depression.

Depression is a problem that so many people face, and by showing Hannah's struggle with it viewers can come to understand how serious this problem is. Everything about Hannah's last days is synonymous with what so many people feel when battling depression, and it is so important to bring light to the actuality of this terrible illness.

12. It speaks out against rape culture.

Although Bryce can never see how deeply horrible his actions were, Clay's makes it very clear while confronting him that his actions cannot be swept under the rug or called anything other than rape. As the series concludes, everyone begins to understand how wrong Bryce's actions are and there is an overwhelming consensus that they are not tolerated under any circumstances. This is such an important message in our culture today, which often attempts to belittle the importance of the issue.

13. It shows us how important we are.

Hannah Baker's death was a big deal to everyone that knew her, and it wasn't just because of the tapes. By showing how completely distraught people were over her death, viewers can learn that no one person is unimportant or insignificant. Hannah taught viewers that every person matters and that everyone is missed in some way once they're gone.

This series couldn't have come at a more perfect time. There is so much hurt in the world, and with the prominence of social media, it is only getting uglier. This series is so important for our generation and for everyone because of the many messages it sends. Not only is it a completely addictive series of episodes, but they each give us something that we can take into our actual lives. "13 Reasons Why" is more than just a novel for young adults, it is a lesson for all of humanity.