13 Reasons Why Memes: The Good And The Bad

Some of these memes are not okay.

1812

The new Netflix mini series Thirteen Reasons Why has become one of the most watched shows in Netflix history. The show follows what happens after a girl named Hannah Baked commits suicide. She leaves tapes behind for people who were the "thirteen reasons why" she killed herself.

There has been a lot of controversy over this series. Many have applauded it for how powerful it is as it shows the impact words and situations can have on someone's life. On the other hand, many have expressed their dislike of the series saying it romanticizes suicide, that people's actions shouldn't make you depressed and want to kill yourself (??!!), that the show encourages suicide and getting the last say and so on. From someone who personally struggles with depression, and read the book, I do not think this show is stupid. They did add a lot in the movie that was not in the book, but of course, it is entertainment. On the contrary, they did work with the author of the book Jay Asher, so he approved of what was done. However, there are still many people who just don't get what the true meaning of this story is. It is hard to see it when you don't struggle with the same things. Hannah did not overreact to little things. She had a mental illness. And some people are using parts about this show to make fun of it.

That being said, memes are a huge thing in our culture today. They are comical and relatable. Some of the memes I have seen in relation to Thirteen Reasons Why are funny. These are the reaction ones or the things everyone is thinking.

These memes are not so bad.

Unfortunately, there are many memes that are not okay. They make fun of the series and display the message wrong. This is a series series. It is not one to be joked about. It is not one that encourages suicide or says it is okay to kill yourself over small inconveniences like people have been saying. However, that is what people are portraying in some memes. Poking fun at this series is not funny. Creating a fanbase of jokes about it shows you watched it and did not understand the purpose and that is not right.

These memes are inappropriate for the topic and message behind this story.