13 Reaons to Remember Why College is the Greatest

When you're missing home or dying for break to come

22

When we're nearing a break, we can become more and more restless with our studies. As my spring break is coming up in about two weeks, I thought I should write something to remind students all of us why we love college. Even when the caf food gets old, the school work is piling up, and your hall mates are testing your last nerve, here's a small list to give a good perspective on all that college truly affords us.

1. Using your time however you wish. Unlike being at home, you generally have free reign with how you want to use your time (outside of classes, that is). Whether it's a job, adult responsibilities, or just family matters, something or someone valuable is vying for your time when you return home. So don't forget to enjoy the unique freedom you have while being at college.
  2. Discovering who you are outside of your family or community back home. It is nice to return to people and places we know, but being at school is a great time to learn more about who we are as people. Appreciate this time when get to learn more about yourself and grow into your own person.
  3. Getting meals with friends. How often do you have the option to get meals with people whenever you want? At college, you can eat with whomever you want practically any day of the week. It's absolutely wonderful.
  4. Forming study groups/helping each other with projects, labs, papers, etc. It takes more work to collab with people on a long term assignment or to get help with a question while on break than when you're all nearby one another. Plus, it's more fun to procrastinate with a group than by yourself.
  5. Having people to talk to and confide in, face-to-face, 24/7. Yup, this one speaks for itself.
  6. Easy access to new friendships with people who are about your age. When you go home, it's harder to meet new people unless you have the money to do adventures whenever you want or you're 21.
  7. Access to a ton of facilities within close proximity to one another (gym, library, music rooms, hangout spots etc.). When I go home, I realize how much I've take for granted the proximity I have to all these great buildings on campus.
  8. Nice walking areas (town, paths around the campus, parks nearby). Maybe you already live in an interesting city or small town, but those of us who live in the suburbs don't often have so many places within walking distance.
  9. Various school events on the weekend like school dances, performances, sports games, festivals, etc. Again, maybe you live in a vibrant area with tons of interesting events happening weekly. But if you don't, here's just one more great thing about college.
  10. Activities on campus like clubs, srats/frats, IM sports, music groups, etc. A.k.a being with more like-minded people. We really are so blessed to have the groups that we have.
  11. Helpful resources (librarians, career services, professors, mentors, counselors). While locals back at home can be helpful, there's something to be said about people who have a tie to your college and who understand you even better because of it.
  12. Religious center nearby, a different community than the one you have at home. Maybe this is just me, but I love my church at college. It's great to relate to people about your beliefs but to also be taught in a style different from your home church.
  13. Different places to explore (cities, cafes, art galleries, thrift shops, etc.) College is the time and place to go out and do cool stuff. I can't say I take advantage of this one enough, but it's definitely a great outlet from studying.