13 Lemony Snicket Quotes That Changed The Way I Look At The World

I fully blame those books for turning me into an emotional wreak as a teenager.
411

A majority of my time as a child was spent reading, needless to say, these books changed my life the first time I picked them up. I haven't put them back down since.

1. “A library is like an island in the middle of a vast sea of ignorance, particularly if the library is very tall and the surrounding area has been flooded”

2. “A good library will never be too neat or too dusty, because somebody will always be in it. Taking books off the shelf and staying up late reading them.”

3. “Although 'jumping to conclusions' is an expression, rather than an activity. It is as dangerous as jumping off a cliff, jumping in front of a moving train, and jumping for joy.”

4. “It is useless for me to describe to you how Violet, Klaus, and even Sunny felt in the time that followed. If you have lost someone very important to you then you already know how it feels, and if you haven't. You can't possibly imagine it.”

5. “The word 'Haunted' I'm sure you know usually applies to a house, graveyard, or supermarket that has ghosts living in it. But the word can also be used to describe people who have seen and heard such horrible things that they feel as if ghosts are living inside them.”

6. "If we wait until we're ready, we'll be waiting for the rest of our lives."

7. " No matter who you are, No matter where you live, and no matter how many people are chasing you, What you don't read is often as important as what you do read."

8.“Well-read people are less likely to be evil”

9. “Sometimes, just saying that you hate something, and having someone agree with you, can make you feel better about a terrible situation.”

10 “One of the remarkable things about love is that, despite very irritating people writing poems and songs about how pleasant it is, it really is quite pleasant.”

11. “But the sad truth is that the truth is sad and that what you want does not matter. A series of unfortunate events can happen to anyone, no matter what they want.”

12. “One of the greatest myths in the world - & the phrase 'greatest myths' is just a fancy way of saying 'big fat lies' -- is that troublesome things get less & less troublesome if you do them more & more. People say this myth when they are teaching children to ride bicycles, for instance, as though falling off a bicycle & skinning your knee is less troublesome the fourteenth time you do it than it is the first time. The truth is that troublesome things tend to remain troublesome no matter how many times you do them, & that you should avoid doing them unless they are absolutely urgent.”

13. “At times the world may seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe that there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough. and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events may, in fact, be the first steps of a journey.”