13 Facts You Should Know Before Banning Pit Bulls

Every dog has the right to be judged by their personality, not stereotypes.

181
123rf.com

1. In the essay Troublemakers, Malcolm Gladwell, talks about how pit bull stereotypes can infleunce us in the racial profiling of humans and dogs. Every dog should be judged by their own character and personality, not by their breed.

2. According to VillaLobos Rescue Center, unless pit bulls have been trained to have human aggression, they love people. If a dog has aggression towards other dogs, that should never be confused with human aggression.

3. “Pit Bulls were considered to be so trustworthy with children that they were known as nursemaids or nanny dogs.” -TerriblyTerrior.com

4. “A pit bull called Sallie is immortalized in a Civil War monument in Pennsylvania. She stood guard over dead and wounded Union soldiers at the Battle of Gettysburg.” -dogsonline.com

5. “The most decorated dog of World War I was a pit bull named Sergeant Stubby. In between his 17 battles on the Western Front, the legendary pooch helped comfort wounded soldiers.” -Viralpawz.com

6. “Once known as America’s Dog, thepit bull could now be called Amerca’s Most Abused Dog. Not only are they tortured in dog fighting rings, but they’re also frequently chained up outside and neglected by lowlifes who want nothing more than a scary looking guard dog.” -Terriblyterrior.com

7. Pit Bulls do not have an abnormally hard bite. In a National Geographic test of bite force, three breeds, German Shepherds, Rottweilers, and pit bull s, were tested. Pit Bulls came in last.

8. “Despite how long pit bull have been around, stories of pit bull attacks didn’t begin to pick up steam until the 1980s. This happens to coincide with the reemergence of dog fighting in the United States.” -Dogsbite.org

9. According to ASPCA.org, a ban against a dog breed will bring the most suffering to the dogs themselves. When owners refuse to hand over their loved companions, they resort to keeping their pets locked up inside, restricting their exercise, freedom, and socialization, “foregoing licensing, microchipping and proper veterinary care, and avoiding spay/neuter surgery and essential vaccinations, such actions can have a negative impact on both the mental and physical health of these dogs.”

10. “Pit bulls are the dog of choice for irresponsible breeders, dog-fighters, people who want a tough-looking dog to tie up in their yard and those who refuse to have their male dogs fixed because they think those big, swinging balls makes them look tough by proxy (86 percent of fatal canine attacks involve an unneutered male, according to the American Humane Society)” -Alternet.org

11. “Pit Bulls often attract the worst kind of dog owners.” -ASPCA.org

12. “The American Temperance Testing Society (ATTS) puts thousands of dogs – purebreds and spayed and neutered mixed-breeds – through their paces each year. The dogs are tested for skittishness, aggression and their ability to differentiate between threatening and non-threatening humans. Among all of the breeds ATTS tested – over 30,000 dogs through May 2011 — 83 percent passed the test. How did pit bulls do? They showed an above average temperament, with 86 percent making the grade. Pit bulls are the second most tolerant breed tested by ATTS, after only golden retreivers.” -Alternet.org

13. “When an infant in New Jersey was reportedly killed by a Siberian husky, around a dozen local news outlets reported the tragic incident, according to the study. But when another infant was killed by what authorities described as a pit bull in Nevada the same month, it was reported by over 200 media outlets around the world, often with the word “pit bull” in the headlines. Like shark attacks, our perception of the risk associated with these dogs has a lot to do with this kind of sensationalism.” -Alternet.org