12 Ways My Mom Is Better Than Yours

12 Ways My Mom Is Better Than Yours

The most unconditional love possible comes from a mother.

1360
12 Ways My Mom Is Better Than Yours
Constance Woodard

We all have some form of a mom in our lives. Whether it be your biological mother, adopted mother, step-mom, grandmother, or just anyone that you look up to as a mom. Each mom in our lives plays a significant role in making who we are. And let’s be honest, they mean more than anything to you and you probably can’t even begin to imagine what life would be like without them.

Personally, I think my mom is the best and the strongest that I could have ever received.

1. She would give anything for others happiness

Honestly, it’s a curse and a blessing. If she sees someone else is struggling, even if she is too, she will do all she absolutely can to help them. My mother has given everything possible for her family. She puts everyone else’s concerns and happiness above her own.

2. She taught me how to be independent and fearless

Since my mother lost her mother at two years old, she vowed that she would make sure that her children were within full capability of taking care of themselves if anything were to ever happen to her. And she truly accomplished that. If it wasn’t for her I would’ve never thought I was capable of moving eight hours away from her and actually make it on my own.

3. She supports me fulfilling my crazy dreams

When most people hear that I want to be a pediatric surgeon they normally give me that “yeah right, good luck with that one” look, but not my mom. My mom supports me to the ends of the Earth when it comes to my career and always has.

I know most moms support their kids in their careers, but not like this woman has. As soon as I told my mom that I got accepted to a school that is eight hours away from home and that I was dying to go, her response wasn’t “OMG no way that’s too far and out-of-state tuition is too much!!” her response surprisingly was “OMG no way! This is AMAZING! I knew you could do it! You’re going to do great!!!”

4. She has rebuilt herself from below the ground up

My mother was put into adoption at the age of two. She was in and out of adoption homes till she was nearly 13. She then became a teenage mother and then that father bailed on her and her kid. She then got pregnant again and that father bailed as well. She then got married and had another kid. She then lost that kid. Then she had another kid. Then she got divorced and raised three kids all by herself.

Now she's remarried and runs a family owned and operated company in our home-town while still caring for her family daily. She could've given in and just been another statistic, but she didn't let anything slow her down from being great. She is the strongest woman I will ever know.

5. She represents true strength

My mother has been through a lot in her life that I can't even begin to explain. However, with everything she’s dealt with, she never gave up on being a mother to her kids.

I guarantee that there have been many nights where she has easily just wanted to give up and break down and break away, but she never did. She has always kept going and has always encouraged those around her to do the same.

6. She prayed for me

My mother lost a child before I was born, and it destroyed her. I’ve heard stories about how she wanted to give up and never try again for a child. She thought that since God took this child, there was no reason to have another. But then she took a step back and prayed and she knew in her heart that if it was meant to be she would get her blonde-haired, blue-eyed baby girl that is all about her. And that’s exactly what she got.

7. She taught me the meaning of family

When I say Christmas is my favorite holiday it’s not because of the presents or even the mountain-sized amounts of food. It’s because, in one way or another, I see nearly every family member thanks to my mom reaching out to every single person.

She is a firm believer in the phrase “You may hate each other every other day of the year, but when it comes to family gatherings you best be there and behave.”

8. She taught me true perseverance

There has been a point in my life where depression had complete control over me. If it was not for my mother, I would not have even graduated high school. Having been through depression herself, she knew there wasn’t much she could do except be there for me as much as possible.

I remember the day when she came into my room and as usual, I was sleeping during broad daylight. She placed a bunch of books on my bed and her exact words were, “If you’re not going to get up and go to school, the least you can do is read books to expand your mind.” Those simple sarcastic words are truly what motivated me to actually get up and do something with my life.

9. She let me learn from my own mistakes

As much as any mother wants to coddle their child from the dangers of the outside world, she still let me go out and learn from my own mistakes. She knew that no matter how much she told me about other people’s mistakes, that I still had her stubbornness and was going to go make my own either way.

10. We don’t always agree

We have very different opinions on many subjects. But she was the one person who taught me that even if I don’t agree with someone else’s perspective, I still have to respect it. Because whether I like it or not, every person’s opinions and values, matter in the world.

11. She wasn’t my friend growing up, she was my parent

My mom and I are hands down the closest in our family. We have always had a very tight connection, but she never let that get in the way of raising me right. She always made sure she was my parent growing up because she knew we needed one. Even in the hard moments when all she wanted to do was give-in and be my friend, she never did. She was always firm on what she thought we needed to learn in life.

12. She truly loves me unconditionally

Granted I am not the best daughter in the world. I have had my fair share of arguments with my mother. But no matter how intense the argument, we always make up and make sure each other is ok. Because we know that our relationship and friendship is far more important than some silly argument about how my niece doesn’t need another pair of shoes.

I’m not the greatest person in the world, but there is always one thing that is for sure, my mother will always be there for me through thick and thin. So here’s my first article to you, mom!