12 Ways To Manage College Stress During Finals

Control the stress. Don't let the stress control you.

83
Lacie Slezak

It's officially April, which translates to "Hell on Earth" in college-ese.

With deadlines approaching from every corner -- finals, projects, summer job applications, internships, registration, summer classes, moving arrangements-it can be quite overwhelming.

I'm what's known as a lazy perfectionist: I want things done in a certain way, but I'm too lazy to actually get it done, so then I complain about how it's not perfect, even when it's my own fault.

Because of this, getting organized is a challenge for me, and sometimes my grades and home life reflect on it.

However, getting organized is an absolute must at this time of year. It's not always easy, but it must be done.

Without further adieu, here are 12 effective ways to manage your stress during this crazy time of the semester!

1. Make your bed.

As soon as you get up, make your bed. It'll set the tone for the rest of your day, and there's nothing like coming home to a neat and tidy bed after a long day.

2. Plan out your outfit the night before.

It'll save you a good five to ten minutes in the morning, so you can get an early start to your day!

3. Get your backpack ready the night before.

Put all of your needed books and supplies in your backpack the night before when you're awake and alert, that way there's less chance of you forgetting your stuff.

4. Exercise

Exercise reduces stress, boosts your mood and helps prevent you from getting sick. And you'll look killer in those shorts!

5. Eat healthy.

I know, I know. I'm a stress eater myself, so all I want during this time of year is fast food and dessert. However, healthy eating (brain food) will boost your immune system and your ability to concentrate. Lord knows I need help with that!

6. Go to bed early.

You see what Patrick's doing? Don't do that. I personally can't stand mornings, so going to bed early makes mornings slightly less nauseating.

7. Get up early.

The fact that I'm suggesting this speaks volumes. Even if you don't have class until 12, get up early, maybe at 8:00. It will give you time to study and do homework before your first class, and then you'll have free time at night!

8. Live at the library.

This is the first thing my dad told me before I started college. The library provides you with peace and quiet, allowing you to concentrate and get your work done in a timely manner. Try studying at the Frat house for a week; you'll be hugging the library bookshelf in no time!

9. Study right before bed.

Looking over your notes right before bed helps your brain retain the information better, and you'll be able to remember more information with less cramming. Don't work harder, work smarter.

10. Get assignments done early.

Staying one step ahead of the game allows you to devote more time to more complicated assignments. This is how I got through last semester!

11. Know your limits.

Oh, yes it does, Cady. Know what you can and can't handle, and don't push yourself. If you've got too much homework, don't accept that invitation to the biggest party of the year. If you've been studying for six hours straight and your whole body is shaking, then it's time for bed.

12. Relax

Take a break and go for a walk. Invite a friend for a bike ride. Breathe. Relax. You've got this. I believe in you.