Credit: Huffington Post
Pin It
// At University of Chicago

12 Wacky Holidays You Haven't Heard Of

More holidays, more fun!

Add to Collection

To add this article to a collection, you must be logged in.

Growing up, my elementary and middle school always celebrated Poem in Your Pocket Day, where students who carried a favorite poem around on a specific day of the year and recited said poem to teachers when asked would win a raffle ticket to redeem candy at the end of the day. In high school, Pi Day (on 3/14) called for an annual after-school event featuring teachers partaking in a pie-eating contest. Nowadays, social media posts for National Sibling Day and National Friendship Day are popular. There are so many random, sometimes-wacky or fun holidays no one's even heard of. What if we actually celebrated some of these?

1. Bubble Wrap Appreciation Day - last Monday of January

Popping bubble wrap is definitely an interest of mine that I take pride in, though I imagine teachers may not appreciate having their lessons interrupted by constant "POP!"s. Still, this could be a pretty fun (albeit, loud) day.

2. National Tortilla Chip Day - February 24th

I wouldn't mind if restaurants gave out free tortilla chips once a year!

3. Popcorn Lovers Day - second Thursday of March

Movie theaters could have discounts on popcorn on this day (even though we all know that the price difference between a medium and a large is already only $1).

4. Barbershop Quartet Day - April 11th

How fun would it be to randomly come across barbershop quartets in school and while commuting? Free music!

5. Love a Tree Day - May 16th

While communities could have local programs for families to plant a tree, others could simply show their love for nature in other ways like giving a tree a gentle pat or hug.

6. International Picnic Day - June 18th

What better way to say goodbye to Spring and hello to Summer than by enjoying the nice weather with a picnic outdoors?

7. Chocolate Day - July 7th

As a chocolate lover (read: human being), I believe this is self-explanatory. A day other than Valentine's Day when it's socially acceptable to pig out on chocolate? YES. (But also forget what society tells you is acceptable and you do you -- eat that chocolate all day, any day!) Still, though: chocolate day. Mmmm.

8. National Dog Day - August 26th

Though this is really every day of the year, who doesn't want another excuse to post a pic with their adorable pup? Animal shelters could have events to promote available rescues and increase adoptions!

9. Fortune Cookies Day - September 13th

I can already foresee tons of hilarious fortunes people might get themselves or see online on friends' timelines. (Especially on the years when the 13th lands on a Friday...)

10. Take Your Teddy Bear to Work Day - second Wednesday of October

You're never too old to bring your favorite stuffed animal around with you for a day! (Plus they make excellent pillows for lecture!)

11. Stay at Home Because You are Well Day - November 30th

I'm sure no one would mind an extra day to recover from the festivities of and many pounds gained during Thanksgiving!

12. Bake Cookies Day - December 18th

Just in time for the actual holiday season, this day would fill homes with the smell of freshly baked cookies and happiness!

Happy holidays, all year round!

Rainy summer nights, puppies and feminism.

Like Odyssey on Facebook