12 Things You Should Know About Neil Gorsuch

On February 1, President Trump nominated judge Neil Gorsuch as an Associate Justice for the Supreme Court. Personally, I think he is a great pick. In an article back in August, I explained why the Supreme Court was a major decision in who I cast my vote for. I believe Gorsuch to be a perfect successor to Antonin Scalia's seat on the court. I knew about Gorsuch a few weeks beforehand, but he is an unknown name to many people not in the political world. Here are a few things you should know about Neil Gorsuch.

1. He has degrees from Columbia University, Harvard, and Oxford.

From each university respectively he has a B.A., Juris Doctor, and Doctor of Philosophy.

2. He did NOT start a "Fascism Forever" club at his high school.

While laughable anyone would think a school would actually allow such a club, it was a joke he put on his senior page in the yearbook to poke fun at the labels liberals at the school gave him.

3. His mother was appointed head of the EPA during Reagan's administration.

She became an attorney after leaving the position.

4. He supports Congress term limits.

He believes it to be an efficient way to prevent an abuse of power by congress.

5. He is against assisted suicide.

Gorsuch researched the topic alongside euthanasia while at Harvard in 2004. He believes human life to be inherently valuable.

6. He was a classmate of Barack Obama while at Harvard.

Small world isn't it?

7. Many of his law clerks go on to become Supreme Court clerks.

This has led to him being labelled a "feeder judge".

8. He is an advocate for freedom of all religions.

Perhaps it can best be explained by the Pleasant Grove City v Summum case, in his and Judge McConell's dissent from the 10th circuit court's ruling.

9. Much like Scalia, he is an originalist and textualist.

This means he bases his judgement on the original meaning ir purpose of the law.

10. He is opposed to judicial activism.

Personally, this is my favorite thing about him. Judicial activism has run amok and needs to be halted. Judicial restraint is what is needed.

11. He would be the youngest sitting Supreme Court Justice since Clarence Thomas.

This means he would be in that seat for a while longer too.

12. He's been endorsed by Obama Administration Officials.

Neal Katyal and Norm Eisen have both voiced support for Gorsuch.