12 Things I Wish I Could Tell My High School Self

Just a little advice I wish someone had told me.

22
Becca Thomas

A lot can happen in two years, to say the least.

Spending the past week surrounded by 4,500 high school students was such a rush. Hearing their stories, hopes, dreams, fears and whatever crazy thing came to their minds, made for one great week, but also caused me to think back to the person I was in high school. Even though it was only two years ago, I’ve changed so much and I’m definitely not the same person I was then. I’ve matured, grown, experienced new things, become more independent and most importantly, found who I am in Christ. I’m discovering the plan He has for my life and embracing who I am now.

I don't regret anything about high school, but if I could go back and tell myself a few pieces of advice, I definitely would.

1. High school is your time to make mistakes, just make sure you learn from them.

You'll make mistakes, I guarantee that, but what you take away from them is what's important.

2. Don't worry too much about what everyone else thinks.

Reputation matters, just make sure you remember who you are and how much you're worth. Care about the opinions of those who truly matter.

3. It’s okay to be different.

You're one of a kind. Nobody thinks the same way you do, cares about the same things you do, feels the same way you do. You don't have to fit into this mold that everyone tells you to be.

4. Experience as much as you can.

There's a million things to do while in high school, don't just pick one. Try out a few, and if you don't like it, move on to the next adventure. Try as many things as you can while you have the chance.

5. Make the most of the time you have.

Four years may feel like an eternity when you step into high school for the very first time, but they really mean it when they say that the time flies. Don't be in too much of a rush to get out, because I guarantee that once you're out, you'll wish you could go back.

6. Don't find "the one" quite yet.

High school is your time to figure out what you're looking for, not to find who you're supposed to be with. Few people end up marrying their high school sweetheart, but for the rest of you, don't take your relationships too seriously.

7. There's a time and place for everything.

Please, please, please have fun in high school, but don't be that one that's so obnoxious that you annoy everyone around you. There's a time to have fun and be crazy, and there's a time to stay calm and practice being mature. Sooner rather than later, you'll have to be mature and I wish it's a lot easier if you know when that is.

8. Your friends may not be around forever, and that’s okay.

You're friends may not pick the same path you do, and that's not a bad thing. Embrace your friends while you have them, but keep in mind that you'll make new friends wherever you go.

9. Go out and get a job.

If there's one thing I'm thankful I did, it was getting a job while in high school. Actually, I had a lot of jobs. Since I worked in high school, I was able to pay for half of a car when I was 16 and that was one of the most rewarding things I've ever done. You learn so much from having a job, and I promise it's worth it.

10. Take one big step out of your comfort zone as often as you can.

Nothing exciting ever happens while in your comfort zone. Take a chance, do something crazy, I promise you won't regret it; not to mention every chance you take, the next one gets a little easier.\

11. Never take your family for granted.

You'll always have your family, so make the most of the time you have to live with them. I miss living with my family more than anything, but I'm so grateful for the years I had to live with them.

12. Be vulnerable, share your heart.

It may be scary at first, and it may seem like people will use it against you, but I promise it will be the exact opposite. They'll respect you for being open and might even do the same, and open up to you.

A lot happens in the two years after high school, but don't let one of those be regretting high school once it's over.