12 Things We Can Learn From A Wrinkle in Time

42

A Wrinkle in Time is one of my favorite books. I just recently saw the movie and wanted to share a few things that I learned that I believed we could all benefit from learning too. Definitely recommend reading the book and watching the movie which is now up on Netflix!

Believing takes practice.

i.pinimg.com

I'll be the first to admit it... I very seldom believe in myself. It's not an easy thing to do, especially in a world that we are constantly comparing each other and ourselves to others. Little by little we somehow have to try to build up belief in ourselves. We also have to be able to believe in the good of others, which the world also doesn't make any easier. We need to be able to give ourself credit where credit is due, that we are able to accomplish great things no matter how big or small.

People are more than the way they look.

i.pinimg.com

Today more than ever outward appearance is placed on the top pedestal. "Quick take this for the 'gram." Or going through fifteen outfits to decide what to wear because we are worried about what other people might think. But we need to get back to the idea that the important pieces are not on the outside, but are on the inside. What makes the person is not the new shoes or the bag, but the good heart and the always extended helping hand or on deck joke to make you laugh. In the ever moving society we need to slow down to see people as people and not just the outside.

Maybe if you aren't happy sometimes you don't know how to be happy.

hips.hearstapps.com

How are we to know the highs if we don't experience a low every once in a while? We aren't able to appreciate the good in our lives if we don't get to know the bad. Like Meg says, if everything is negative, you are unable to recognize that you're unhappy and lose sight of the things that make you happy. We can't be happy without knowing the unhappy and cant be unhappy without knowing the happy.

A straight line is not the shortest distance between two points.

s2982.pcdn.co

Sometimes the path we think is the obvious one, is not always the smartest one. The path we take is not always the quickest or the easiest. Many paths have bumps in the road that cause us to wish we took a better direction, if we even had the choice. But what do you learn on the straightest, quickest path? Not as much as we do on the bumpy crooked path. On a straight line we aren't tested, pushed to limits to see how far we can go or how quick we can think on our feet. We learn new things about the world, life, others and most importantly ourselves.

The universe is bright tonight just because of you.

mediad.publicbroadcasting.net

YOU ARE IMPORTANT!!! I feel like people are not reminded of that enough. Every time we bring someone down, their light is dimmed. My mom told me a story that she heard about our purpose in the world. To keep it short, every single person is born with a distinct purpose that only they can fulfill. When a person fulfills their duty, it causes a chain of events which allow others to fulfill their purpose. This can't happen if we don't support each other and believe in the value and brightness of every single person. We also have to believe in ourselves, which, like I said in the beginning, is hard to do. But it is true, the world is bright tonight just because of you.

Love is always there even if you don't feel it.

i.pinimg.com

Love was the central theme of the movie. Love took Mr. Murray across the universe and brought Meg, Charles Wallace, Mr. Murray and Calvin home. If you're at a point in life where you don't feel loved, reach out to someone, anyone, because if at the moment if doesn't feel there, it is.

Life, with its rules, its obligations, and its freedoms is like a sonnet: You're given the form, but you have to write the sonnet yourself. 

i.pinimg.com

You have to take charge of your life. It is up to you to direct your life and to chose the path it takes. You're given talents, skills, fears, tests all of which prepare and guide you in life. Use them! Believe in yourself and follow your dreams, write the sonnet that is your life.

We have to make decisions and we can't make them if they're based in fear. 

hips.hearstapps.com

Making decisions is hard. But we have to have faith that it will all work out in the end. I repeat the quote, "Being scared means you're about to do something really important," all the time when I am scared to do something. We cannot let fear hold us back from what we want to do, from writing our life sonnet. Fear is not a bad thing, it can be used as motivation. Take that chance, that leap of faith and see what happens! But you'll never know if you don't take that chance.

You're going to be tested every step of the way. Have faith in who you are.

scontent.fzty1-2.fna.fbcdn.net

Life is not a flat straight line. It is filled with twists and turns, ups and downs. At every point in life, you'll be tested, some more than others. But you have to have faith in yourself and others that you'll come out on the other end stronger and a different person than when you started.

Love. That is what she had that it did not have.

i.pinimg.com

Love is powerful and those that are loved and love others are powerful. Make sure to remember that when interacting with those around you. And spread that love, because like Meg learned in the movie, love is more powerful than darkness and the hate and all the bad that surrounds us in our world today.

Maybe I don't like being different...but I don't want to be like everybody else, either. 

i.pinimg.com

This is not easy to do today. It is much easier to go with the flow, be like everyone else and not take that chance to differentiate yourself from others out of fear of what they might think or say. But we should feel comfortable being ourselves. We don't have to be crazy out of the box (if that is you then power to you- go for it!!!) but be YOU! Don't let others tell you who you can and can't be, or bring you down so you can't be you.

There's nothing left except to try. 

i.pinimg.com

Sometimes just to try is the best or all we can do, and we should be okay with that. My mom tells me and my siblings often that everyday we have to try and do our best, try to do the right thing so that when we put our heads on the pillow at night, we knew we did the best we could and tried to be the best person we could. All we can do is try, try, try, try....